Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
a visit from little and big loopy laloë

hi all! i know it's been awhile and probably most of you don't know who i am, but some of you do, so therefore i'm posting this!

me and little anne-sophie (she's 7 months now!) will be visiting cambridge in a couple weeks time and would love to see you lot. unfortunately i can't come out for a ride this time around, but it'd be great to see you between 6-7:30 on Thur 14 Oct at a pub near your meeting spot. i hear the cross keys is no longer a pub - is the Snug still there? or the Panton Arms? if anyone has any suggestions of a place right near the magic meeting place so we can see you off for your ride, that'd be great! and preferably somewhere where you'd all feel comfortable leaving your bikes outside for a wee while.

it seems, according to the forum picture, that nothing much has changed with the cammtb team kit - I LOVE IT!!!!! happy HAPPY wedding day last thursday, rich and g, super exciting!!!

can't wait to see you all! --anna and little anne-sophie

Re: a visit from little and big loopy laloë

Hi anna I'll come out and meet you! I think the snug is still there. Or there are pubs down regent street probably not best for leaving pricey bikes outside though

or could arrange ride to start from a slightly different place near a pub people would be happy
leaving bikes outside. How about the red cow or bull or whatever it is called on the way to grantchester?

In Granchester there is the Red Lion, lots of windows and solid wood floor, or the green man, not sure about this one as i have not been in.

sounds good as a place to meet and greet that is not too far out of town.

Hey RLC how about making a special exception to help out Loopy laloë and those who would like to say hi without loosing their bikes?

Yes good idea Pat, the Red lion is kiddy friendly, ok bike parking & ten mins from Brookie. The Green man is okay for a meal but is possibly a bit mackeral pate & melba toast for a bunch of hairy ar**d mountain bikers. Think it will fit in well geographically with the state visit of Loops & Loopette. Will also be good for the current Mrs Cook & Arson (F.W.) to see them too.
COVERN !!!!!

I think Claire means the Red Bull, which is on Barton Road on the edge of Newnham. It's about 3/4 of a mile from our usual start point. It's just off our usual route out to Granchester. http://www.theredbull.net/index.php I can't see any opening times on their website though.

Anna - I may struggle to make it into town much earlier than 7:30pm, but I will do my best!

Richard

I did mean the red bull but only cos I was assuming anna has no car and has baby in tow so can't cycle either so was thinking grantchester may be a bit far?? Anna where are you staying??
Red bull was random suggestion as thought walkable from town but not so busy bikes would be at risk too much. Dunno opening hours or how child friendly it is.

Hi Claire,
Anna is going to have the use of her friends car whilst here. But if there is any probs Rachel will run her over....well not literally... but then again she did drive into a skip...mmmm

Red Lion in Granchester sounds good to me too - feel a bit safer locking the bike up there than somewhere in Cambridge ... just my two bobs worth, for what it's worth

Me too. Food's not bad their either.

Hey, did anyone else do a double-take and read "two boobs" rather than "two bobs" in Rich's last post? Took me right back to that dress...there's a memory I thought I'd buried after the therapy. Eeeww!

PT

hey all -
sorry, only just reading these posts. i may or may not have use of a car, but i will likely be coming from BAS on madingley road, or duncan's house to see the family. if the latter, then we could meet anywhere the Cooks can get us during cambridge 'rush hour' (and back again!). i could just walk from BAS to the Plough in coton? not sure they'd welcome you dirty/grimey lot, anyone know better?