Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cambridge new MTB trail?

Hi guys,

you were pointed out to me as keen on MTB.

I'm fed up that it's such a hassle to go to Thetford for a good off-road
hack for me and my young boys. So I've talked to the City Council about the possibility of them setting aside some common land for use by MTB (as distinct from the BMX jump-space at Coldham's common). They see the logic & could support it, so I'm gathering some support to fuel them.

An ideal might be about 500m or so of trail, possibly in a coiled-up form to
fit it in, within trees would be nice. Could be on a large space like
Coldham's Common, or else down the side of a bye-way like ones that sprout
off the Roman Road. My optimistic hope is that there are enough interested
adults that we could raise some volunteers with shovels, barrows, and the
odd rented digger to build a lot of it (moving from dip to crest), making it
much easier for the council to go ahead.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on implementation, expressions of support, or
offers of help to dig.

Cheers,

Geraint (no e-mail supplied as I'm very anti-spam)

Re: Cambridge new MTB trail?

What a great idea!

Although I have never been out with you guys on a night ride and none of you know me, I'd be more than happy to help out. I too get a bit fed up going up to thetford all the time and Cambridge is a lot closer for me.

I'll arm myself with a spade, a wheel barrow and a mountain bike and come join the fun

Following this thread with interest

Good idea Geraint,

I'm sure that you'll find support for this from some of the regulars and irregulars to our rides and forum, even if it's just turning up on a Saturday morning to do some trail building. Given enough notice, I'd give it a go.

On the subject of half-decent off-road, you might (or might not!) be surprised at the amount there is to be found on our rides. The spirit of adventure runs through them, even if that spirit sometimes has to have some imagination and needs replenishing in the pub after.

You (and Ian) are very welcome to join us.

Pasty Tom

I'm afraid I don't agree. There's enough around Cambridge if you bother to look, and when you want a bit more, then 'real' mountain biking isn't too far away. A 500m trail may provide a bit of interest when passing through on a longer ride, but I'd rather put the effort into exploring somewhere new. I like the set-up at Coldhams Common for the BMXers, but any dedicated MTB track would have to be so tame to get the approval of the Council, and to broaden it's appeal beyond a hardcore of riders that I think the efforts of those wanting to do it would be wasted.
Of course, my comments may wind you up so much that you become more determined and re-double your efforts to achieve your aim. If that's the case, well done and good luck!

A. Hasbin

I feel this would be alot of hard work for the little you may get out of it, and possibly of it getting trashed by vandals. As Mr T mentions there are some local fab rides and as per MBR mag... Just get out and RIDE...

Thanks for the support from several of you. For the rest, wait till you have kids...
One of the things that's a bit annoying about the bike scene here is that it's great for adults, but few think about the next generation. Last week we drove to Welwyn, today we drove to Colchester for my 6 and 8 year olds to race Cyclocross. I don't see such a kids vibe round here, Pity. Those places have thriving kids cycle clubs, and the Cambridge Club couldn't even raise enough interest in starting Go-Ride.

So yes, I'm still committed. And since my boys ride the Beast and the bombholes at Thetford, I WILL be pushing for something a bit challenging with the Council. This will be a slow-cook project, so I'll be back in a while once I have the Council onside.

Geraint

Good on you Geraint!
I have to admit that when I read your first post I assumed you meant your 'boys' were a bunch of mates, and that the idea was based on self-interest, hence my reply. If you think you can get something done to encourage youngsters in this area, I'm sure you'll get support from the majority of us.
Keep us posted!

Geraint, May I firstly say that I to do have kids so I do know what it is like, I spend as much on my kids, clothing/bikes etc as I do on myself. I even brought an old caravan so I could take them away to sherwood/cannock chase etc at weekends so dont preach to me. I stick my mottez cycle trailer on the car and like you take them to thetford or woburn sands. On a final note getting kids involved im up for that, but you trying to get the grown ups out at weekends/away trips thats a bloody challange on its own....

I'd like to know where some of these interesting trails are. :) I live in Ely so if there are any good trails through the country that are fairly accessible to me I'd love to ride them -- Thetford is nice but a bit a distance and with little kids (2yo, another about to be born) the ability to disappear for just an hour and still have a good time would be really appreciated.

So far I've found:
- a short byway from the end of St Johns Road in Ely towards Witchford
- a short byway from the end of Downham Road towards Little Downham
- a byway/footpath from Angel Drove to Little Thetford

Anyone know any nice trails in the Ely area?

No, apart from the old bmx track at Wilburton. Is it still there?
The challenges for off-road riding are very different in this part of the world, but like us, you have to make the most of them. Ride at night, ride in the depth of winter, ride when you know others wouldn't dream of it. That's where the challenges are round here.

I believe the BMX track is still there, yes.

I'm not after a challenging route, because that's unlikely to happen. Some known passable byways around Ely are all I'm after.

Interestingly I just discovered that there is a moto trials venue at Braham Farm in Little Thetford (just south of Ely). From the club's gallery it looks like it could be quite interesting for basic technical stuff. Anyone know anything about this?

http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/zz146/dabberstrialsclub/?albumview=slideshow#/grid

Hi Ross,
I know Braham farm as my missus mate rents the farm, her name is Louise Bedford give her a bell and she would be able to fill you in. Make sure you get the ok as the land is owned by the church and you dont want to upset them do ya??.