Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
joining

Hiya
i'm very new to mtb but have done a bit this year in the lakes and peaks. would like to go more regularly but haven't really found anywhere around here apart from thetford.
can i just rock up one tues or thurs (a little put off by the cold at the moment!?)
thanks

Re: joining

Hi Becky,

Yeah, just turn up! Make sure you read the thread about lights (and maybe the one one discussing winter clothing as it's a little nippy at the mo).

I started with these guys just this summer and found it a bit tough to start with but it gets easier (sort of).

In my experience the rides can range from around 18 to 30 miles over tarmac, mud, grass, muddy grass (and probably snow in the near future).

Cya!

Hi Becky,

That's good advice from Frazer. Although we have differing levels of speed and fitness (and age), we like to think that we don't leave anyone behind. Well, not very often anyway.

You're very welcome to join us - there's no club or fees. The only thing we prefer you to bring is decent lights, but that's for your own safety and enjoyment.

Oh, and there's the rule about newbies getting a full round in.

Pasty Tom

ok, think i might need to upgrade my lights (any advice on what to get?) and i might wimp out until it warms up just a little bit. thanks for the info and hope to joining and i suppose buying a round:)!

Hi Becky,
take a look at the Lights FAQ at the top of the index for some handy links to reviews.

at the moment in the group there are 3 favoured solutions.
1) Exposure joystick
2) Magic shine http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44459
3) Ay-Up lights http://www.ayup-lights.com/
my favourite is the Ayup due to the battery life and adjustable beam pattern, others favour the Magic shine as it is super bright for only £50 where as others prefere the JoyStick as they are a well designed piece of kit that is a single piece of kit that has the battery built in.

if you wanted to try before you buy, just post to borrow a set of lights one night and someone will have a spare set to lend for the evening, and you can see the other kinds of lights on the ride.

if you can't make the ride just watch the forum and if there are a few riders out then you will get to see a few different lights if you pop by the start point at brookside.