Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PT's Winter Wobble - One Week to Go

Just one more week until THE cycling event of the winter!! PT's Winter Wobble is the winter version of last Summer's BIG Adventure.

It's in the style of Trailquests and the Polaris Challenge - there's 20 or so checkpoints, each with a number of points which reflect their difficulty / proximity to the start and finish. The more checkpoints you bag, the higher your score.

More points can be bagged for taking photos of items of my choice along the way - was anyone expecting the photo of the old lady out walking her dog, sat on Richard's bike last summer?

If you're late back, you lose points.

The checkpoints will be the same as last summer, but the points associated with them will change as I am changing the finish - this will dictate your choice of route. The pub representing the finish line will be published on the morning of the 13th Jan.

Team Beer - Pete F and Paul D - are the ones to beat. If you fancy having a go, post here as I will need to have an idea of how many maps to print out. Entry is in pairs so post here if you need a partner, also. ENTRY IS FREE.

(In the event that the weather is truly dreadful, I will postpone it.)

Good luck!

PT

Re: PT's Winter Wobble - One Week to Go

Tom, can you repost the grid refs for the checkpoints please.

Here you go Paul,

Checkpoint No. + Description + OS Grid Reference
1 Crossing TL 413 674
2 Track junction TL 509 533
3 Track junction TL 584 488
4 Water Tower (bend by) TL 568 479
5 Footbridge TL 547 541
6 Fingerpost TL 549 493
7 Junction / Gate TL 528 443
8 Junction TL 595 531
9 Crossing TL 592 577
10 Obelisk TL 442 507
11 Bridge TL 495 514
12 Bridge TL 530 626
13 Pinch Stile TL 379 625
14 Fingerpost TL 388 582
15 Trig point / Reservoir TL 352 525
16 Edge of wood TL 380 515
17 Gate TL 421 541
18 Crossing TL 458 550
19 Bridge TL 452 498
20 Senotaph TL 457 574
21 Track junction TL 388 552

Start, and the map give-out, is the usual spot at Brookside.

PT

Hi Tom,

I'm up for this, and am polishing my compass in preparation... Here's hoping for less than truly awful weather.

PS Am teamed up with Tony

PPS I've no idea what a Trailquest is, and the only Polaris Challenge I am familiar with involved Soviet ICBM's. As long as the pub is open I am sure to enjoy the evening. Thanks for putting it on.

Hi Tom Tom, Count me and ma bitch in. Oh I mean Mark,Ta Shelton.

Oh Tom, Can you post up the points to the grid ref? I want to be a good few wheel lenths ahead of Duncan, so I can throw the stinger out....LOL.......

Re: PT's Winter Wobble - looking for a partner

Pale Rider
Just one more week until THE cycling event of the winter!! PT's Winter Wobble is the winter version of last Summer's BIG Adventure.

It's in the style of Trailquests and the Polaris Challenge - there's 20 or so checkpoints, each with a number of points which reflect their difficulty / proximity to the start and finish. The more checkpoints you bag, the higher your score.

More points can be bagged for taking photos of items of my choice along the way - was anyone expecting the photo of the old lady out walking her dog, sat on Richard's bike last summer?

If you're late back, you lose points.

The checkpoints will be the same as last summer, but the points associated with them will change as I am changing the finish - this will dictate your choice of route. The pub representing the finish line will be published on the morning of the 13th Jan.

Team Beer - Pete F and Paul D - are the ones to beat. If you fancy having a go, post here as I will need to have an idea of how many maps to print out. Entry is in pairs so post here if you need a partner, also. ENTRY IS FREE.

Good luck!

PT

Looking for someone to wobble with on Thursday, so let me know if you want to help me get revenge for the crushing Ashes loss!!

Hi Shelton,

Checkpoint OSGR's are on this thread, BUT the points are only revealed on the night.

You then have to make decisions about where to ride.

One characteristic of all of the teams final hour in summer was the mad dash back to the pub when you find yourself miles away with little time left.

PT

Pale Rider

Good luck!

PT

The ground is going to be pretty grim, looking at the forecast for Weds and Thursday...

Paul

Hmmm...I will seek a consensus in the morning.

Do we mind mud? What about rain and mud?

It'll be a challenge whatever

PT

Pasty,

have you posted the destination pub for tonight? - cant seem to find it anywhere on this site.

Thanks and see you at 19:30 hrs