Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thetford

Thinking of making this my first night ride with you all tonight.

What are the details? What can I expect from the ride?

I assume, being as it is thetford, it will be super muddy after the rain we have been having.

Where is parking what time is start/finish?

Thanks
Ian

Re: Thetford

Hi Ian,

Not out myself, but here are the details you need:-

Time - 7:30 start
Parking - Brandon Country Park, which is signposted off the B1106 betweem Brandon and Elveden. Parking is free after 8 pm, but since they provide good facilities, it seems churlish not to stump-up the 50p or so you'll need for a P&D ticket.
How to get there - A14, then A11 to Barton Mills. At the Fiveways Roundabout take the 2nd exit to Brandon, the A1065. In Brandon, turn right into Rattler's Road (at second set of traffic lights; first is a pelican crossing), then right into the B1106 at the end. BCP is signposted right.
What to expect - yes, there will be mud, but sand too. And plenty of dry sections as it's often free draining. And there will be trees. Which means loads of wonderful singletrack and the need for a decent headtorch if you have one.

Expect ice tonight too - I once thought I'd worn my jockey wheels smooth but they were clogged with ice and sand.
Finish - whatever time the group decides, but usually 9:30 to 10 pm. It's more tiring than our normal stuff as the conditions are more technical and challenging, so long distances are not involved. When you're done, there's no pub stop so go to the Esso garage on the Fiveways on the way home for a Ginsters and a milkshake.

PT

Thanks for the reply PT, no headtorch just the magicshine on the front. Looks like I may meet some trees then :P

Is it mostly on the marked trails or nature trails?

Looking forward to it.

Thanks
Ian

Tom, Pay & Display? Does this mean that Ian has to pay to park and then get his kit off and run round the car park naked?? surely your expecting a bit to much for his first night ride!.

Anyone care to suggest hopw long it takes to get to Thetford from Milton?

Simon
Anyone care to suggest hopw long it takes to get to Thetford from Milton?

I'm based in Milton myself, and I'd say it takes ~40-45mins. It's a pretty straight forward route as well.

Dean.

As above, 40 mins or so. The longest bit of the journey is from the A11 roundabout where it goes to single carrigeway, always slow on that part, but so long as the A14 is clear, its not a long journey

In case others are reading this and wondering what the weather's like on Shelton's perverted little planet, let me remind you of the CAM MTB byelaw 19(b) that states:-

"19 (b) Newbies either buy all the beers or they get their kit off and run around for our amusement (except Gavin)."

Obviously, there is no pub tonight so only one of the options remains.

Just a thought but is anyone else actually going to Thetford tonight-would hate the thought of a new rider being left in the lurch as such. I won't be out again-still fighting off multiple colds-has anyone else been suffering? only managed 3 rides since the end of November-beginning to get a little irritated now

Just spoken to Ali - he's not going after all. Geordy Nige is stuck in Essex according to Ali. Pete F is going to the football. I'm stuck at work.

Paul

I'll Probs take a pass tonight then, sounds like many won't be there, will be out Thursday instead