Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New recruit

Hi All, I am an experienced rider who wants to get my fitness back. We currently go to Thetford (fairly infrequently) but its a long way from us in Bishops Stortford. Am interested in joining you for a few night rides. Can anyone confirm that you will be meeting next week and the location.

Also, my bike is set up as single speed. I can change it back if needed. What kind of climbs are we talking about? Any advice appreciated.

Re: New recruit

Hi Vini

Next week will go ahead as per the list at top right of the forum, barring especially shit weather. Even then, a couple of diehards will probably still show up at Brookside.

To find us - plug CB2 1HN into Bing maps and the arrow is nearly right - we meet at the top end of Brookside, just past the junction with Saxon St. You can park a car on the street around there or nearby if you're lucky, or more easily just south on Trumpington Road alongside the Botanical gardens.

Single speed is fine round here. Several of the regulars ride them.

Paul

Thanks Paul - Ill see you there. For the regular single speeders - I'm running a 34 / 16 - will that be too tough? Keeping in mind my lack of training recently.

Hi. Vini, I use 32:16- we don't have many long hills round here, more short, sharp ones but it can be a bit heavy going in the mud. Some of the other guys go a notch higher but they've all got bigger thighs than me!!
Rides are generally 22-30 milers in total with a pub stop around 9.30 then a final blast home after a couple of beers-be prepared for a late night if you hang around the pub too long

Brilliant - thanks. Ill see you on the Thursday ride then. Looking forward to it.