Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chain Reaction - Card Fraud Issue

Hi All,

Some will know that my id was compromised last week and that someone defrauded my debit card to the tune of, well, a lot. I've notified bank, police, etc and got the money back, new card, etc.

We were discussing this in the pub last night and it came up that Chain Reaction had been linked to card fraud recently.

I've spoken to my bank this morning to relay my suspicions and found the article on the website link (below) also.

Upshot is that if you think that any recent card fraud you have experienced might be related to a recent transaction with CRC, you are encouraged by CRC to register this with them. Email link is on the website linked here or you can call them on 02893 343758.

I called and registered this morning and CRC encouraged me to get in touch with y'all. By registering, it will help CRC's security company trace any fraudulent activity.

While there is no definite proof yet, CRC themselves are saying that it looks too much of a coincidence, whiich is to their credit (no pun intended).

PT

Re: Chain Reaction - Card Fraud Issue

Hi all,
I too have been a victim of these card fraud 'scrotes' this week. I mentioned CRC to my bank, they were not surprised. They were already pursuing CRC as a line of enquiry. I also phoned CRC and they appear to be taking the situation seriously and encouraged anyone who may be affected to get in touch with them.
What will come of this I do not know but at least I will use Pay Pal in future. (horse bolt...gate shut.... I know!!)
Ads

Having had my card defrauded by wiggle and amazon in the last 4 yrs I now only use paypal with a password synchronising toggle. (£3 from paypal) Have not been ripped off since..... touch wood

ME TOO!!

I bought some wheels off them a few weeks ago, then the following week my account was debited to the princely sum of £1500.

I'll ring my bank now.

Cheers for sharing the info.

Email from CRC today - here's the main text:-

"Following your recent contact with us and concerns about having experienced credit card fraud, we are pleased to be able to give you further feedback.

The independent forensic investigation has shown that our infrastructure was the target of a sophisticated attack which resulted in the theft of card details relating to a number of our customers. Details were being stolen ‘real time’ and only a small proportion of recent CRC customers were affected.

The access point of the theft has been identified and permanently closed off so we are confident that we have fully addressed any weakness in our infrastructure.

We are sincerely sorry for what has happened in recent weeks and would like to thank you for your patience and support throughout this difficult period."

They are giving me a free online voucher for £30. And yet the crims have my identity details and can cause more mayhem if they wanted to. Big flipping deal is the polite way of saying how I feel at the moment.

PT