Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New to Cambridge

Hi guys,

I recently moved to Cambridge and I would really like to join you for the evening MTB rides. I'm an experience rider and I really enjoy cycling (both off and on road).

I would like to join from Thusday, April 12. Please let me know if there will be any changes or the ride on this day will be canceled.

I look forward to meet you and to learn the trails around Cambridge.

Best regards,
Adrian

Re: New to Cambridge

Hi. Adrian & welcome to Cambridge. I don't know if you've read any posts on here before but here are a few snippets of information about our rides. They are generally well paced, around 25-32 miles in total (sometimes longer for the Summer epics) with a drink stop at the alloted pub. We have stops at the end of sections to allow riders to regroup if the whippets get a bit carried away at the front! Pub arrival time can be anywhere between 9.30 to after 10, depending on the number of mechanicals/punctures on the ride so be prepared for a late-ish night if you stop at the pub. Groups normally split off for the ride home at regular intervals depending on how thirsty people are & how far they have to travel home! We use all kinds of MTB's-full suss, hardtail, singlespeed, 29 'ers(weird) SS 29'ers( weirder still) and all get along just fine!
You will need to be self sufficient regarding tubes & tools & have a good set of proper off-road lights-commuter types don't provide enough illumination for the off-road sections. If you don't have lights, post again as some people have spare sets you could probably borrow.

See you tomorrow

Hi Adrian

I second everything Rick said (apart from getting confused over which week it is... ) but would add that any changes to the destination are virtually always flagged up here in advance, so check back on the day. Occasionally the people who actually turn up at Brookside will decide on the evening to go to a different venue if no one has parked their car in advance at the listed pub, but that's quite rare. Very unlikely for the Blue Ball, too.

Paul

Ahem--------see you next week Adrian-------

Hi,

Just out of interest, do you all cycle to the meeting spot, or drive and park up nearby?

Also, what kind of age range do you lot cover?.. I think I passed 3 of you two weeks back on my route back to Milton, but all I could see was front light.

-Still lurking, and the right side of 30.. ..Just.
Dean.

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies and sorry for the spelling mistake in the date. Unfortunately I can't join this week, so I need to wait until April 12th :D.

I read a couple of threads and also the FAQ and all should be good. I don't mind if the route is changed in the last moment. I don't know any trails/pubs around so any off-road trails will do.

See you next week.

Adrian

Most of us are in the 80's...

30-------30!!!!-----Pah! waaaaay too young

Dean - most people cycle to Brookside, some drive there and park, and some drive to the pub, park there and then ride to the start.

Age range - all sorts. Late 20s to late 40s probably covers most of us, with a few outliers.

Paul (getting close to being an outlier...)

40's ppppfffff, Flippin' eck doiggers........ they do say time can be a harsh mistress