Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thursday April 28th - Jolly Millers, Cottenham

I've volunteered to lead next week's Northern excursion, and like one last year, we'll break with the usual convention and NOT start at Brookside to avoid the hack out of town and get to see more of that glorious big sky and enjoy some flat out blasting on the flat but rough tracks the fens have to offer.

So, PLEASE DO NOT GO TO BROOKSIDE ON THURSDAY APRIL 28TH! Start is on the green in Histon, just opposite the Phoenix Chinese restaurant, 7.30 as usual. It's a short road ride 3 miles back from the Millers to there, or 7 miles from the Millers back to Brookside.

See some of you there!
Dom

P.S. Sticky post pretty please Paul?

Re: Thursday April 28th - Jolly Millers, Cottenham

Dom,

I'm working tonight, but planning to be out for this ride on Thursday, so long as I manage to catch enough ZZZZs during the day

Richard

I'm planning on being out tonight, reporting to the Green, Histon at 19:30 Anyone else out tonight?

Barring disasters, I expect to be there tonight.

I'm considering cycling in and back from Over, depending upon the time I manage to leave home.

See you later!

PT

i will be there

Can someone remind me where Histon is?

Hope to make it out but it depends on whether I can get away from the lab in time. That or scab a lift off Bowesy...

Paul

PS Actually - a serious question - where is the village green in Histon? The OS map doesn't show any green areas. After going over the A14, should I be on the main road or the back road that runs parallel on the left?

PPS - to my surprise, Cottenham to Shelford is only 1 mile more than Tuesday's Hardwick to Shelford return trip...

Paul,

I guess the clue is in the name, The Green is a road in Histon If you stay on the main road coming from the A14, it's immediately on the left when you reach the traffic lights at the Rose & Crown pub. There really is a green area, with a stream/pond and as mentioned by Dom, it's opposite The Phoenix restaurant.

See you later,

Richard

planning on being out barring disasters

Hi all

I'm hoping to come along and join you all for the first time tonight. I have been keeping an eye on your forum for a while now and decided it was finally time to take the plunge and see how unfit i am. I think i have everything i need, ie lights helmet etc however i do have a question, do you all bring locks for your bikes when stopping at the pub or do you do rock, paper, scissors to decide who is on guard duty? Hope this doesn't sound a stupid question, just wondering as i will need to invest in a smaller lock if you don't provide guards

Hope to see you later

Dave

Hi Dave

Good to hear you're planning on giving it a whirl! We do generally lock bikes up, but there's usually enough people with long enough locks that a few extra bikes can be catered for.

After a ride, the beer is usually enough of an attraction that I don't think anyone would be prepared to forgo it to guard the bikes. If anyone tried to push the point, I suspect the rock and scissors would be used for alternative purposes - not sure how much good the paper would be in a fight!

See you later
Dom

Hi Dom

Thanks for the info. I have to say though, paper cuts are very painful and would probably be enough to stop me wanting to fight anyone!

Cheers

Dave

i'm bringing my usual pack, so the rock is sorted, i have a small stanley knife in there too so the scissors are sorted too if you want, Pasty will have a Map so there is the paper.

i will hava a lock that will cater for 2 or even 3 frames so not to worry about locks....unless you are one of these people that says they are not very fit, but would make team Scott look slow in a race, in that case bring your lock, and a very big rock on a chain and even the kitchen sink too.

Thanks very much Pat, i appreciate that. I really don't think there will be much danger of me having to bring the kitchen sink. Hopefully will be fit enough to keep you all in my sights though. The allure of the beer should help some way to achieving my goal

Dave

Thanks for a great ride tonight. I will remember for the future that i am now running presta valves. Big thanks to Alison for the tube and everyone who helped fit it and waiting for me. Hope to see you next week.

Cheers

Dave