Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I fancy trying a 69er

No Matt it is not another euphemism and nor was Ferreting my Warren by the way. I just feel though it would look a bit wonkey donkey after having a go on Boseys niner last night and loving the lack of vibration through the handle bars wondered if anyone has a 29" front wheel with a 185 rotor they would not mind swapping for a mile or two next week on the way to foxton? Only one problem or minor retro point they would have to feel like they were 10 again as their bike would resemble a Raleigh Chopper for that awkward mile or two?

Any crazy takers? I am sure I could stretch to a pint for the helpfull soul.

Re: I fancy trying a 69er

OOOH ERRRR Fnar Fnar!

i thought about this my self at on point but there is no way of doing it on the cheap on any of my bikes.

do you have the clearance on your forks to fit a 29" front wheel? most shock forks are 26" / 29" specific.

i know Mark T is in the process of selling off all of the bits from his new bike!!!!???? (don't quite understand this but hay) as he is a waggon wheel rider he may be a good bet or maybe Duncan as i haven't seen him out for a while, he may have a few spares languishing in the garage, and he is local for you.

Hey Pat, yes to clearance as mine is a fully rigid and the Nuke Proof forks have at least 4" of clearance. I reckon the radius of a 29er wheel should only be 1.5" bigger than mine maybe a bit more depending on tyre choice. It would look strange but I am past all that wanting to look cool stage in life. I must be to ride with you lot in drag, wigs etc

LMAO

Pat AKA The Jolly Green Giant
or maybe Duncan as i haven't seen him out for a while, he may have a few spares languishing in the garage, and he is local for you.

He was out Tuesday night on his Carbon Giant going like greased weasel shit as usual. He has broken his niner so it may be the perfect time to beg borrow or steal?

I do know he does about 5000 miles a year on it so knowing him he will have it back on the road by the weekend.

This is the part where Duncan pops up cos he is on a long lunch as usual sitting in his van on free WiFi and says no worries Jon I have 6 spare wheels in the Garage

Really, but your at least 32 !!??!!
Coat, door etc etc
Niner is up and running.... BRM BRM, looking forward to a medium grrr longee tomo !!
Tried a 29" wheel in the front of my Roberts last year, quite good, was a bit of a wheelie fest but yes comfy & quick ...if not interesting steering (think GSXR with harley forks)
There's quite a few 2nd hand Carver 69er frames around at the mo & also a bit of an unknown 650b phenomenom (dub der der dunom) ready to be experienced. Jonathon, as long as the wheel fits & you are home by midnight.......... you shall go to the ball !!
P.S. Harry old man, don't suppose there's any chance of a chat with that there near royal Phillipa...mmmmm