Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mark T's Misguided MTB Meander to the Med.

Dear All,
For those of you who don't know, Thursday's venue, the Med, is the old Master Mariner pub on Perne Road, Cambridge. The car park is plenty big enough if any of you are doing a 'Dom', and Mark Bowes knows the landlord (surprise, surprise), so I think he'll be able to secure safe storage of our bikes when we arrive.

The original idea of the ride was to do as much 'urban off-road' as possible, but given the good weather of late, we will have to watch out for runners, walkers, dogs, etc, so we'll be heading out of town, and then back in, with various options depending on time, numbers, mechanicals, enthusiasm, etc.

Hopefully see some of you on Thursday at Brookside. Don't get too excited though, it's not Wales...

Mark

Re: Mark T's Misguided MTB Meander to the Med.

Hi Mark,

Drat! Due to pointed hat wearing transferred to thursdays for this week I wont be able to make this rather unusual/interesting ride/destination. Hope it all goes well.

Also, in the "I remember when this was all fields category", am I correct in thinking this pub used to be called the Weathervane?

Pete

Are we rideing out from brookside at 7.30 or as the ride name suggests, getting the train to pastures new, hence need to bring some back up beer tokens for the Train?

No, you're looking at the ride on the 19th to Elsenham.

Brookside as normal.

Afraid I'll be in Belgium on Thurs so I'll miss returning to the MM for the first time in ~ 15 years... If it was the Weathervane, that must have been a long time ago indeed!

Paul

good point Mark, good job i'm not leading, who knows where we would end up.

I'm showing my age a bit, but when I used to drive around Perne Road a lot 23 years ago (Mrs Lee comes from down that way, you see) it was The Master Mariner. I don't remember it being the Weathervane.

Is the beer any better?

PT

Actually, according to Google, it was indeed the Weathervane until the 'mid 80s'. It must have changed before I first went there circa '85 then. It used to be quite a rough clientele back then too. Hopefully they've changed too, before you lot walk in, in lycra...

Paul

I'll be out as i can stagger home from that pub

Finally a ride that is in staggering distance for me!

Unfortunately I am not going to make it as I am nursing a fractured rib,(from the May Day Wales trip) and hence I am not drinking either.

Grrrrr!

Hope you all have fun! (said through gritted teeth)

Ads

Assuming I can get the bike in the new motor, I should be out tonight. And even if I can't, I'll just nick my wife's car

(And I am getting excited about it, even though it's not Wales. I am too easily pleased)

PT

i'll be out, do we know if there will be some secure bike storage. Might just bring a real lock to be sure...

Can't do the ride tonight but hoping I might make it to the pub later. Please can someone text me if for any reason there's a change of venue?

Ta,

Richard

i will be out.