Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kenda small block 8 - any good??

Hi All,
What do you think of Kenda small block 8 tyres?

Cheers
GN

Re: Kenda small block 8 - any good??

Good, but not as good as Conti Race Kings in Black Chili...

I use them as a summer tyre and have been very happy with the choice.

Paul

They sound rather hot!!!

Am off riding in Dorset this week & need to decent fast tyres for the single track hills!

:)

I use Maxxis Larsen TT Exception
Very similar to the 8's
I think that the TT's are a fantastic summer tyre.
Ads

i believe that the small block 8's and the Rocket ron's are about the same.

i tend to use the Shwalbe Rocket Ron as a tyre for all purposes, fast in the dry but enough grip "for me" in the wet/mud of winter.

as a speed upgrade if it is very very dry, Rocket Ron on the front, Fast Fred on the back, just watch the corners under breaking.

Pat,

You know it's "braking", not "breaking", don't you?

Just checking

PT

PT, maybe it should be barking, seriously, i have an award nomination for my spelling!

Given Pat's track record with bikes, I thought he did mean 'breaking' ...

As for the Kenda tyres, I'd love to try them out, but have read plenty of reviews that say the rubber that Kenda use in their tubeless tyres isn't compatible with sealants like Stans NoTubes, resulting in the tyres delaminating after a few months ... Review of Kenda Tubeless Tyres on mtbr.com (if yr not running tubeless, then they're apparently pretty good tyres)

Small block is a great tyre for fast dry non rocky conditions. Their fast with adequate grip one thing to consider is the side walls are quite thin !?!
They also do not clear mud at all.... so the odd puddle is fine but all day on off sticky mud is baaarrd shoite. Have also run them tubeless (stans) last summer without any probs !?! I think compared to alot of other Kenda tyres the Sticky Nevegals & SB8 are their best offerings.
Saying that I have ridden around the isle of Purbeck on them many times without a prob.
Fast Freds are even more extreme & slide at the slightest sniff of dew....
But most importantly when en Dorset (yes I would it's very nice)...... don't wander too far & STICK TO THE ROADS !!!

Was dat u Pat I saw the ova saturday inda Graften centre with the Sin crew???

if by that you mean the 2 biggest money reducing agents known to man (the wife and son), near mothercare!!! late in the afternoon then probably yes.