Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The OMBM aka The Polaris Challenge, Late June 2011

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in partnering up for the Polaris Challenge this summer? If you've done one of my Trailquest style events (Fecund Frolic, etc) then the format is very similar, i.e. mountain bike orienteering.

The difference is that this is over a weekend (24-26 including travelling up) with up to 7 hours riding on Saturday and 5 hours on the Sunday. There's a campsite, toilets, catering, bar, etc. (see website link below.)

Location is the Dark Peak area of the Peak District. I found this event enormous fun in the past and went solo last year, but it's even more fun with a riding buddy.

Post here if interested!

PT

Re: The OMBM aka The Polaris Challenge, Late June 2011

Hi Pasty, it dont clash with mayhem so if you really get DESPERATE I would do it with you. Ive been told I snore and you know the rest... Shelton

I might be up for it Pasty. If I have a bike with two round wheels and roughly appropriately shaped frame at the time. I do have a large blue dome (fnarr fnarr)tent and only snore after beer.

Cheers Tony, saves me hiring a bike... Looks like your sorted Tom.

Cheers Tony (and Shelton),

If you don't have a bike, then you're welcome to use my Litespeed, but your Kona should be up to the job.

The large blue dome also sounds interesting. As for snoring, well, we may just have to put up with it, given that the beer is usually pretty good.

I'll catch up with you in the week, but if you're OK with it, I'll put the entry in.

Regards

PT