Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WAGN's role - Thursday's awayday ride.

Actually, 'NXEA excursion' as WAGN are no more.

The plan is to take the Liverpool St line south to Elsenham or Newport and ride home.

Long ride from Elsenham - circa 28 miles to Stapleford.
Short ride from Newport - circa 19 miles to the pub.

Long ride - catch the 19.21 from Cambridge or the 19.26 from Shelford or (if you're Bowes) the 19.30 from Whittlesford to arrive at Elsenham at 19.49.

Short ride - catch the 19.51 from Cambridge or the 19.56 from Shelford to arrive at Newport at 20.13. You can then hang around for 10-15 minutes until the long ride group arrives.

We all then head home via Saffron Walden.

If the weather's shit (unlikely with the current forecast but you never know) then we might consider postponing or simply doing the short ride but setting off on the earlier train.

Now, the only major hitch I can see other than the usual punctures, mechanicals, whinging etc... is the number of bikes on a train. The NXEA policy is 'maximum 4 cycles per train on rural services'. I've never seen them get shitty over bikes outside of commuter hours and two bikes per door isn't a problem and if it's an eight-coach train and some people want to do the shorter route then we should be OK.

Nevertheless, can people please indicate by replying to this message if they're planning on riding and whether they want to do short or long route. It's especially important to let me know (and make sure you have my mobile number) if you're planning on doing the shorter ride as if there's no takers for the short ride, it's possible we might not go via Newport.

Paul

Re: WAGN's role - Thursday's awayday ride.

PS - it's ~ £8 for a single from Cambridge to Elsenham.

Paul

I'm up for the long ride

Me too - I'll aim for that, but hold the train if I'm late

PT

Long ride for me.
I'll post on Thursday if I can't make it for any reason.

Long ride for me too. Tony

Longee pls

Being a wimp I'll vote for the short ride..........

But, will go with the flow! I shall road it to Wittlesford and join the Bowes there, all being well. So thats the 19:30. Hmm, Better get my stuff together the night before

Pete - there's no problem with you doing the shorter ride - as long as I know there's going to be at least one person waiting at Newport, we'll definitely go that way instead of it merely being my planned, 99% likely route... Note that you'd need to catch the later train though.

Let me know.

Paul

Have fun! hope to be out next week (if I'm not at the beer festival .....)

Hi Paul,

I am up for the Elsenham start, so providing the 19:30 at Whittlesford is boardable (i.e. train not too full of cyclists) I shall get on it. I am not used to Public transport - I assume there will be a machine that takes credit cards at the station? I will allow time to fathom it out. Also (JIC)assuming your mobile number still ends 086.
Pete

Choo choo - I'll see people on the sort ride train

Hmmmmmmm. I note that it's only just over a tenner to travel First Class...

PT

I'm planning to ride to Newport, work permitting, will aim to get there by 20.13. About 28 miles, via Horseheath. Will leave Cherry Hinton at 17.00.

Pete - yes & yes.

The machines also take cash, when it suits them.

Paul

Does anybody use google latitude on their phones, could be handy for liaising tonight

www.google.co.uk/latitude

Feel free to add my email address

Work is dragging on. May not make it to the station, if at all.

PT

Tom you should drive to Elsenham and then take the train back later