Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G + Rich are moving - a few items for sale

Hey everyone,

Well, it only seems like yesterday when G and I ventured out on our first ride with CAM-MTB - I can still remember vividly riding home from Orwell along the A603! Fortunately, we've improved our navigating skills over the last few years, and won't ever make that mistake again!!

After about 3-1/2 years living in Cambridge, we're moving (soon) to Houston, TX (as in the "Houston, we have a problem" Houston) , and after a bit of a clean up, have a few items that we no longer need. We’re going to miss Cambridge for a load of reasons, not to mention the fact that Houston is probably the one place which is actually flatter than Cambridgeshire!!!

In our list of things, there’s about 15 bike related items, including a Tri-Metals Secure Bike Storage Shed which is in excellent condition. There’s plenty of other things too, so rather than bore you with details here, a list of all the items can be found on the following website :
http://helpgandrichsponsoraguidedogpuppy.blogspot.com/p/items-for-sale_06.html

You may have picked up from the web address, that we’re trying to raise money with the proceeds from what we sell, to sponsor a guide dog. Here’s the blurb from our website, which explains what we’re hoping to do.

FUNDRAISING FOR GUIDE DOGS CAMBRIDGE

Something you may not know, is that in addition to the odd bit of MTB riding, we’ve also been volunteering as guide dog puppy boarders for over 3 years now in Cambridge. Guide dogs in their first year of life are trained by a group of hard working volunteers. We have always wanted to raise enough money to sponsor a puppy and thought that, perhaps with the help of friends, we could!
Having just finished a bout of spring cleaning, we decided to sell a bunch of stuff we no longer need to raise money. In addition everyone who donates will be put into a raffle to win the chance to meet a guide dog puppy and see how they are trained!
There are 5 ways you can help us raise money:
1. By buying one of the items for sale
2. By providing us with a donation of any amount of money in any currency
3. By giving us your old mobile phones (guide dogs gets £3.50 for these)
4. By giving us used inkjet (HP, Lexmark, Canon) printer cartridges (they get £1 for these)
5. By sharing this with someone you know who might want to donate
Our ultimate goal would be to raise £5000. If we can fundraise this amount we will sponsor one puppy for one year here in Cambridge. This means that you too will be part of sponsoring this puppy and will get the chance to name the puppy, get regular updates and photos and meet the puppy.

If we don't reach that amount, it doesn't matter - every bit helps, and it's for a good cause!

For more info visit http://helpgandrichsponsoraguidedogpuppy.blogspot.com.
Follow how we are doing on facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-us-sponsor-a-guide-dog-puppy/211743332198654

Thanks!
G and Rich

P.S. So we can catch up with as many of you as we can before we leave, we’re planning to ask special permission from the run list fairy(s), to have a (short) farewell ride sometime within the next few weeks – more on that later!

Re: G + Rich are moving - a few items for sale

Rich,
Do you have a spare ticket? Im home sick and missing my Lonestar Beer, Yee Haw.

Sorry to see you go, G and Rich.

Having a look at the facebook site now. I didn't realise that guide dogs used mobile phones, let alone had a market for them. You live and learn.

PT

You'd be amazed at what they can train guide dogs to do these days!
Also, if there's any of the bike gear you want (or other stuff), just let us know.

Goes without saying that we're going to miss riding around Cambridge with you lot - mind you, I'm still recovering from Tuesday's marathon ... Hopefully we can both fit in one last ride before we head off over the pond.

cheers,
Rich + G

Hey Rich, it's a shame to see you both go.

on the plus side you could host a special week away Camb MTB outing round the oil fields.

Hey R&G

Sorry to hear you're heading away. When's the farewell ride?

If they're still going begging, I'll take the Polar HR strap and the The Captain tyre. Let me know?

Cheers
Dom