Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Foxton or Focked

Ma bitch is letting me out, so im planning to show on Thurs. If anyone else fancy's a medium pace, with p*ss taking and banter along the way then post up. Shelton Xxxx

Re: How to spoil a good ride... My 2p

I am surprised that's the reason you haven't been with us after you did the half marathon cycling with us should have been a dodle

I have missed you a bit, thought you were dead.Put some
Fast tyres on and get your arse back into action, anyway think it's your round
Regards Bowes

Re: How to spoil a good ride... My 2p

My view for what it's worth.

Being a senior (in years only) member of the group for a good few years now the dynamic of the group has changed considerably. There have always been fit whippets around and members have come & gone but the difference now is that the rides are generally longer & cetainly more competitive. I'm struggling for words here but "intimidating" keeps coming to mind. Once upon a time I would just come out & ride, knowing I and most people would cope & have a pleasant evening of good riding & cheery pub banter. Now it seems we arrive much later to our stop & the group more often than not immediately loses a few bodies who need to get home at a reasonable time. Nowadays, although probably as fit as I have ever been, I think twice-especially after a bit of a layoff and will go out on my own until I feel confident I can at least keep up. For new members, more often than not, we never see them again. Most people can only put so many miles in a week so their fitness plateaus'-I include myself in that number. My normal docking time at home is now regularly after midnight, previously it would be 11.15-11.30
I don't know what the answer is I'm afraid-more honesty perhaps but then that can be misconstrued as throwing the toys out of the pram.
2 groups may be an answer-it has worked before.
There is nothing wrong with being fit & fast but consideration needs to be shown to the poor sap who has an off night.once again, I include myself in that number!
CAMMTB is a GREAT bunch of Guys & Gals, please let's keep it that way.