Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joining your rides

Hi
I'm thinking of coming along on one of your rides, which raises a couple of questions:
1. I'm doing this to get myself fit again. At the moment I'm far from it. Are you happy to have a lardy duffer on your rides? I'm not that unfit, honest, but have gone soft around the edges. I'll probably ride like a 'newbie'!
2. I only have ordinary road lights. Is it possible to borrow a set of decent ones so I can see if I enjoy it enough to invest in my own?

I'm thinking of coming on 25th Oct, so I can get a few rides in before hand and perhaps lose a couple of ounces...

Cheers
Steve

Re: Joining your rides

as no one else has responded yet i will.

i don't think it will be a problem, i normaly ride on a thursday but people ride on a tuesday too.

if you post a day or so before the ride someone will usualy help you out with a light.

i suspect that everyone will be "very" tolerent of new riders at the moment so come on down and have some fun.

Thanks Pat

I'm thinking of going on Tuesday, after that it will be November before I'm around again, but whichever I decide, I'll post a message a couple of days before hand and see about borrowing a light.

There certainly seems to be a big debate going about riding pace and attracting new riders...!

Steve, don't worry, they are quite nice really!

I'm cool - really! Hope I get there on Tuesday.

HI Steve

I'm planning on being out tomorrow night, and if you're still thinking of riding, I can lend you a bar mounted light with an easy-and-quick-to-attach bracket (Exposure Toro).

Let me know if you'd like it and I'll make sure it's charged and in my pack!

Cheers
Dom

Sorry I didn't make it on Tuesday, and thanks for the offer. I can come tonight - would it still be possible to borrow the light?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

I was toying with the thought of not coming out tonight - we've got so used to it being dry that I was feeling a bit wimpy at the prospect of showers! So thanks for nudging me in the right direction...

I'll put the light on charge now. See you later!
Dom

Thanks Dom!

My first ride with you guys was awful.

You are all too fit, and clearly that is not my problem.

I've now been out more often, and am probably a little fitter myself.

You have convinced me to spend money on lights, so clearly I'll sue each and every one of you when I realise that they are sub-standard. As advised by Dom, I bought the following Scottish ensemble: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290629066494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290626408900?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

No pressure Dom...

Might see you al om Thursday... if you'll have me back??

My last post was a little harsh... I thoroughly enjoyed myself really...

1600 lumens?? Jaysus, that's bright!
E&OE Details may change without warning All descriptions are for illustrative purposes only You have no recourse if goods prove to be defective etc etc

I should be out Thursday - hopefully see you (and your lights!) then...

Dom

I hope they arrive in time...