Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Borrow some lights?

Hi, I have just got myself a second hand MTB and am keen to get the most out of it this winter, so am keen to come along for some rides. I shouldn't be too slow either as I have lots of other bikes and am training for a off road duathlon next month.

Would it be possible to come along this Tuesday, the 1st of November and borrow some lights? Would be interested to see what lights you folks use and get to know some trails and pubs outside cambridge :)

Cheers

Graham

Re: Borrow some lights please?

In my excitement I forgot to say please...Apologises

Hi Graham

Sorry - I'm not out tomorrow night or I would have been glad to oblige.

If it's of interest, I think the light I've got is awesome value compared with almost everything else around, although I know others aren't so sure! This is it:
1000 Lumen Cree

It's from a guy in Glasgow who gets really good ebay ratings, and it arrived, and was, exactly as promised. Here's all of his stuff.

He seems to know his stuff - here's his blog

Cheers - hopefully see you out sometime
Dom

I agree on the value for money - I bought one after the fiasco of losing my Lumicycle halide and although I wouldn't say it's quite as good, considering it was less than 1/3rd the price I'm pretty happy with it so far.

They're bright enough that when Dom accidentally turned his onto flashing mode in the face of an oncoming car the guy was pissed off enough that we were worried he was going to turn round and come after us...

Paul

Thanks for the info Dom and Paul, will take a look. So do you run this lamp on the bars and have a helmet mounted torch aswell or is the light you have enough?

Take it these would be overkill on my commute, thinking I could justify spending more if I use them to get to work too.

I use a helmet-mounted Joystick too :-)

The Ebay light I bought has a low setting which is a perfectly respectable level for road commuting - the top end is good for unlit cycle paths where you get stealth runners and the like.

Paul

Hi Graham

I use an Exposure Joystick on my helmet, same as Paul - but to be honest, it is a slight luxury. The Cree on the bars would be enough. It's nice to be able to look round corners with a helmet light though! And it gives you some backup.

The Joystick is £125 and up. Big F D D (the eBay guy) has a helmet-mounted torch that looks like it would do a similar job (and it zooms, which the Joystick doesn't) for 30 quid. It appears to only need one battery and comes with two, so that would give you six hours on full. I've never seen one though, but for the money it's probably worth a punt!

Cheers
Dom

I think we should not be alarmed if next time out Dom turns up in a kilt, eating a haggis sarnie with a deep fried generic Lidl branded choc bar.

Look, with 25% commission on every sale, wouldn't you??

Och aye the noo
McDom

Well, well. McDom is it?

I suppose that does explain your kilt and the strange smell wafting from beneath it.

PMcT

Did Graham borrow some lights?? Did Graham ride??

i have lights!

I didn't make it out as I couldn't borrow a light set but I have bitten the bullet and bought some magicshine lights. So will be coming this Thursday rain or shine!

Do you guys bring along a bike lock for when you reach the pub?