Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanks!

Dear All

This moving lark has been a bit of a rush, not helped by the fact that I'm still on crutches after my last off... I had meant to come out on a ride before xmas or at least make it to the pub, but it wasn't to be.

So - I've enjoyed all the years of riding with CamMTB immensely - thank you all.

I still intend coming out at least once more this year before Jane packs up and leaves Cambridge too - hopefully the Runslist Coven will make a slot for me to lead a farewell summer epic.

Cheers!

Paul

PS - The Shitty Old Bag has been packed and is moving north too.

Re: Thanks!

All the very best to you and your sh**ty old bag, Paul. Please come back and see us soon.

BTW, who's going to look after the website?

MT

Sorry you couldn't make it to the pub on one of the pre-Christmas rides Paul, hope the relocation goes ok and that you find some good riding north of the border. At least the route-finding should be easier, what with no worries about riding on footpaths.

There were only 3 of us out last night, we were rather embarrassingly outnumbered by the Foxton mtb chapter who momentarily caught up with us at Stapleford, however they didn't follow our route- probably scared off by Eco Duncs manic acceleration, which Dom and I failed to match. When we regrouped at the new bridge we saw a tiered mounting block erected by the horse club- it should be a boon for Bowesy as he struggles to remount his big-wheeled machine after micturition stops.

Make sure you get back to lead a ride soon, before the whole of south Cambs has been tarmacced over.

Cheers

Pete

Good luck with the move Paul. Is there any riding in Scotland that can compare with Cambridgeshire? Let us know - I'll invite you to show me the sights when I feel the need to escape the in-laws on one of my regular forays north of the border.
PS, mind the cattle grid on Castlelaw Hill, it has been known to cause injury.

Tony

Hi Paul,

Good luck in all things Scottish. You will be sorely missed in Cam-MTB. You're one of those people that has maintained the cohesion of the group and made us laugh with your anecdotes too.

In answer to Mark T's question, I'm taking over as Webmaster - Paul has coached me and sent me instructions but I'm sure that I'll need the Group's support and advice if I'm to fill Paul's shoes.

And in the spirit of maintaining traditions, I'm proud to communicate in the best Grumpy Webmaster style that I've well and truly fucked my back up this week while shifting the carcass of a dead dishwasher on Monday. I'm 'under the physio', so to speak so it doesn't appear I'll be out until next week. (Page 22, Tony)

Best wishes

PT

it's been fun riding with you over the last few.
it's been even more fun hearing the tails of the rides that i missed.

in's not going to be the same without you lobing in the occasional grenade on the forum!

hope to be out for you farewell ride.

don't forget to make the most of "the right to roam" up there, i know from past experience of living in area like that, it is far too easy to say there is always tomorrow. unfortunately tomorrow has a habbit of turning in to should have gone yesterday!

All the best Paul and good luck with the move. It's been a pleasure riding with you.

Richard

Good luck with the relocation , Paul.

Thanks for leading some memorable rides, especially the excursion to Elsenham. I'm reminded of that every time I see the track we used that passes under the M11.

All the best

Pete T

Doiggers.... you de man..... the man who made gt chesterford a night time reality, Elsenham the best ride of last year, shitty bags trendy....ish and putting those two bumps inbetween france and Gods own country .........noticable.... Gonna miss you old bastard!!
But before you climb your bar stool north of the border...... is it true........ you know...about you, donkeys...embarrasment ?
If you were mark spitz would you grab a towel on the way out of the pool ?

I think you have to end on a sunday ride to liddlle old walden for lunch and wherry.
Come on hot diggety...... you know e want to!!

Thanks guys....

Apologies for the slow reply - no net access until today (at work) and apparently Orange doesn't maintain a network north of the border...

Barring further disasters I will indeed lead a last ride or two next year!

Cheers!

Paul