Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Queen's Head- 19/1/12 Ride

What's the call on a cross bike tonight after the rain? A challenge- or just silly?

Wider mud tyres have been ordered for next week.

A boggy ride to the Queen's Head and cross tyres?!

I plan to ride this evening. see you later

Tom R.

ps WesUllrich: Narrow tyres (cross tyres?) are a good thing. No tread is a bad thing. So as long as your tyres have some knobbles on them, and there is some mud clearance between frame and tyres, you will be fine.

Re: A boggy ride to the Queen's Head and cross tyres?!

i'm going to ride tonight.
My favourite pub.

cyclo cross....Hmmm, as Tom says if you have slick tyres you will be in a world of fun, depending on you skill.
if you have some nobbles then you will probably be fine, there is not too much in the way of trecherous mud out that way but i'm sure we can find some for you

i'm looking for someone to take the title of crash of the year off of me at the Christmas Party this year. twice is quite enough thank you.

Well, I'm not daft enough to consider riding slicks!

I may yet take advantage of the fact that the sun is out now, so I'm a 'maybe' for tonight.

Re: Queen's Head- 19/1/12 Ride

No riding for me for a while until my back fully recovers.

I had a setback on Saturday when I got another spasm in my lower back; the rest of the muscles are so contorted trying to compensate that my GP has put me on Vallium.

I'm helping out on Tuesday night for the Winter Wobble so see you all then.

PT

My Xmas manflu has returned (I think I may now have a worse strain called 'Manthrax'), so I won't be out.

However, I think a cross bike is perfect for our conditions. The narrow tyres should cut through the mud to the firmer ground underneath, as long as you have good clearance for the clay, and some knobbles.

I've been considering a cross bike for some time, but as I'm so heavy, I'd have to run the tyres quite hard which would be scary on the roots. Also, I'm not very good at riding a bike...

See you next time I'm not stricken...

I'll be out tonight. Tony

Incidentally Dom, have you thought about copy and paste?

Might be out. Also trying to decide on booking myself on a decsion making course....

Pete

Hoping to be out......... but then again it is nice & sunny at the mo so could pop out before the rain... but then again what if it doesn't rain as forecast & it dries slightly more before this evening than if I went out now in the sun, what if the clouds appear or if the sun goes down before I can make a decision about going out......mmmmmmmmmmm....
Not easy this mountain biking lark

TomNotDom

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

I dunno about cross bikes, but I do have one which feels a little piqued.

Boom tish!

PT

No! DomnotTom!!

so there

Not out tonight - its cross dressing night at the Live and Let Live

Does that mean you're going as a bloke?

Re: No! DomnotTom!!

OK - I apologise unreservedly and withdraw my growl.

PT