Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hare and Hounds tonight

anyone else out for a cool pint in the pub tonight, with a fresh ride before hand?

i've got a new BB this week, as the bearings fell out when i got home last thursday, so no intention of having a mechanical stop this week.

Re: Hare and Hounds tonight

Your definitely tempting fate there Pat!

Not out tonight due to babysitting duties so see you all next week.

Hi Pat,
Yes, going to don the Buffalo in a Dreadlock Rasta stylee
should be right chuulli

Should be out - may even put a second layer on tonight. Any idea what the mud situation is? has it frozen yet or is it still a bit gloopy out and about?

Tuesday was hard as concrete - no mud anyway, didn't need to clean the bike - and given that it hasn't warmed up in the slightest since, I'd expect the same again. In fact, summer tyres might be a good idea.

Forecast is bitter: -3 or -4 with a North-Easterly. Brrrrrr

Trying to convince myself that going out would be a good idea.

Dom

I am hoping to be out.

I hope to be out, but will be mostly roading to the pub.

I've not gone soft (well, softer), just being cautious now that my back is recovering.

Cheers

PT

I'll be giving my post-infection lungs a reliability ride, so expect a lot of puffing, wheezing and expectorating from the back of the line...nice.

What a bitterly cold night! My car was showing -5.5C on the way home.

I got very cold thumbs on the way back from the pub and one of them is still numb today!!

Thanks to Mark for accompanying me on our recovery road ride and for your concern when my legs appeared to shut down (a combination of the cold and exhaustion) in the last few miles to the pub. I will wear thicker clothes next time, maybe up to the level that Tony wears during the summer.

PT

Thanks Tom, I think it did more good than harm, and 30+ miles was respectable given the conditions. We measured -11 deg C on leaving the pub, warming to a balmy -8.5 deg C by the time we reached Cambridge. Barmy indeed!

Hey Mr T,
The miles don't count as you were road scumming!... (wrong forum)

Whatevs. We were on mountain bikes.