Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
recalcitrant bottom bracket

Any suggestions as to how I can remove a seized on square taper bb from my hybrid bike? I have delicately removed a stuck on crank with an angle grinder but now can't shift the bb on the drive side (I am trying to undo in a clockwise direction) WD40 and gentle 'taps' on a spanner with a lump hammer have so far failed. Any suggestions? Anyone got a spare scaffold pole to add leverage?

Re: recalcitrant bottom bracket

Take it to Townsends on Chesterton Road. They've never been beaten by a stuck BB. (They won't let you watch though).

Plus Gas might be worth a try, it has worked for me where WD40 hasn't, failing that then Townsends as recommended by Mark

I used the correct Shimano tool and an adjustable spanner with my stuck drive side sq taper BB. When that didn't work I swore a lot. Then tried using extra leverage - above mentioned set-up held on tight by me, Mrs Lee hanging off a long, rectangular box section steel shelf support. And that shifted it.

So, in short, a trip to Townsends sounds best!

PT

are you turning it in the correct direction?

thank you Pat. Please refer to my original post.

In the old days of steel frames, applying a blowtorch to the BB shell used to help - differential thermal expansion would break the rust seal. Dunno whether this would be a good idea for an aluminium frame... doubt you're struggling with a carbon frame somehow but if you are, please post a video of the attempt! :-)

Paul

I would wrap kitchen towel paper material around the bb and then soak it in Plus Gas. Leave for days. If that doesnt work, then application of percussion (light taps on the shell and bbwith a steel punch) may cause enough distortion to break the corrosion adhesion. Leave soaking for days. Given enough force applied, and soak time, it should move. I assume you hsve the correct special tool to engage with the end cap. Good luck. Pete

Hi Tony,

Any progress to report?