Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New permissive bridleway - Shelford - Hauxton Mill

Jane just pointed this out - the farm track from opposite Kings Mill Lane on the edge of Gt Shelford (the choke point by church and school on the way to Lt Shelford) that goes under the railway line then M11 to the A10 at Hauxton Mill is now officially a permissive bridleway. Funston's, the horsey lot call it, after a long gone farmer apparently, though Pemberton is the owner.

http://cwr.naturalengland.org.uk/Default.aspx?Module=CountryWalkDetails&Site=7321

Trumpington Farm (B) Near Cambridge if the link doesn't work properly.

It's a decent route, only unrideable in the autumn if they've been harvesting turnips and haven't yet repaired the track. I used to ride it regularly with Jane and the horses but never took the club that way because although Mr Pemberton would give permission to any horse rider who wrote and asked, he explicitly forbade cyclists. The land manager who lives in the cottage at the Hauxton Mill end used to be quite fierce about policing this and I didn't want to piss on my own doorstep, so to speak.

Still, now Mr Pemberton's taking DEFRA cash for it I don't see that anyone can really object! You can also get onto it by heaving the bikes over a gate on the new link road halfway between Trumpington/Shelford road and the A10/1309 south of Waitrose and taking a farm track that's now a permissive path too.

Paul

PS - have started to get into exploring the local tracks up here now the injuries have healed. Still a bit nervous about just how far 'right to roam' extends when the dotted line on an OS map takes you through someone's back garden on a Sunday morning... Also, never used my granny ring quite so much before!

Re: New permissive bridleway - Shelford - Hauxton Mill

Belated thanks for pointing this out Paul,haven't managed to work it into a ride yet. I did think about trying to do it on the Fecund Frolic on Tuesday but there were no waypoints on it to garner points. Unfortunately my route was rather ambitious so we ended up mostly on-road from Fulbourn to Harlton, arriving late, knackered and last. I should have retired gracefully after our victory in the inaugral event. Hope the Scottish weather is better than our omni-rain.