Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Proposed route for tues 17th April

Hi all.

Hope tonight went well for you all!? I'm going to be joining you on tues for the trip to duxford. As I lived in duxford for a number of years, I know the area, but can't think how we can creatively get there without using the roads 90% of the time... So dare I ask what route we will do? The distance last tues nearly killed me mostly cos I had no idea of the distance we were going to do beforehand.

So, where we going?

Peter

Re: Proposed route for tues 17th April

Hi Pete,
Most routes are thought up/discussed quickly at the start of a ride & I know with me if I am leading I will change a route dependant on the time, who is out, the weather & any other reason. How far do you want to ride to Duxford ?? (Tuesday was a reasonably long route for this time of year) There are lots of different ways of getting to Duxford off road............ stick with us and you'll learn them all !!
Most of all don't forget to be (politely) vocal if you are not happy with the pace or distance & we will be more than happy to change things.

Thanks Duncan. At the moment something around the 15-20 mile would be better for me, at least till my fitness improves.

I didnt really tell anyone to slow down cos I didnt want to be a pain! Also didnt want you guys to think I wasnt cut out for the rides. I am very serious about my riding, but never done it in a group before, especially off road.

I just need you guys to know that the ride on tuesday was pretty tough for me and I dont really relish doing one of that length, at that pace again any time soon. :P

but rest assured, I will be coming back on future rides, whenever i can make them fit around my work.

Hi Pete,

Duncan's absolutely right - we don't want to put off new riders so let us know if we're killing you. I'm usually one of the slower riders and I have no qualms, but I have known them all a long time!

If you're really feeling it and feel like taking a shorter route, ask around or even ask at the beginning as there may be a rider out that will happily do that with you. I've needed to vary things away from the main group recently as I'm trying to get over a back problem and I've almost always found someone to join me. It's very rare that you can't find an alternative and shorter route to the pub.

Stick with us - you won't regret it (well, not much).

Tom

thanks tom, i do appreciate it. i havent been the most vocal of people so excuse me for not being that talkative. i will be sure to tell people if im struggling...