Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tomorrow nights Fecund Frolic - The rules

Dear all

Just a reminder that tomorrow night's ride will be a trail quest style event with people riding in pairs, scoring points by visiting checkpoints, with the winners being the pair that accumulate the most points. The rules are shown below

The Fecund Frolic 2012
How it all works....

1. You have a list of checkpoints to visit - they vary with difficulty and distance and you won't be able to visit them all in one night without a helicopter (which is not allowed!).
2. Each checkpoint has a score depending upon how difficult they are to get to / far they are from the finish.
3. Riders split into pairs (if there’s an odd-one-out a group of 3 is allowed – no solos for safety) and go off and try and amass as high a score as possible in the time available by visiting either the high value checkpoints or a larger number of checkpoints or both.
4. Each checkpoint can only be ‘bagged’ once.
5. Riders/Pairs prove they've been to a checkpoint by taking a digital photo (camera or phone) when they get there. They should take a picture of the checkpoint with them and their free give-out map in the same picture. This gets shown to me at the end so I know they’ve not cheated!
6. A higher score can be gathered, however, by spotting and photographing random and ridiculous items of my choosing along the way, so it's not just speed and navigation skills that get points. The list will be available on the night, however, additional extra points will be awarded for the pair in the most outlandish clothing as voted for by your peers.
7. So you will need:-
a. As usual; bike, lights helmet, drink, cycling equipment;
b. Map – Landranger 154 is good
c. Pen for writing on your map
d. Digital camera / camera phone capable of taking pictures at night or in low-light
8. When you’re fed up/ tired / need beer, we all meet up at a pub and those who are late (past 10 p.m.) get points deducted! The time penalties will be applied as follows:
1 to 10 minutes late - 2 points for each minute late
11 to 20 minutes late - 4 points for each minute late
21 to 30 minutes late - 10 points for each minute late
31 to 45 minutes late - 20 points for each minute late
Greater than 45 minutes late – lose all points!!
I then tot up all of the scores and work out who’s won.

9. There will be a lactose-free bottle of wine for each of the pair of riders with the most points.

Golden Rules
Stay safe and legal - this is a free, fun ride and the organiser accepts no liability – you participate at your own risk and are responsible for your conduct
Wear a helmet at all times when riding and make sure that you have good lights
• All checkpoints can be visited via public right of way (walking on footpaths, of course!)
• Remember, you can bag each checkpoint only once
Do not sabotage anyone else – cheats will be disqualified (if found out and if we don’t think it’s funny)
Follow the Country Code

I will remind you all of the checkpoints in a separate post and announce the destination pub tomorrow morning.

Paul

Re: Tomorrow nights Fecund Frolic - The checkpoints

For those of you who have forgotten/deleted the checkpoints from your GPS/Smartphone/brain here are the grid references again.

No Grid Ref Description
1 TL 401 443 Track Jn
2 TL 422 492 Bend in track
3 TL 353 481 Ford
4 TL 349 521 Edge of woods
5 TL 396 517 Edge of woods
6 TL 416 522 Track Jn
7 TL 494 444 Level crossing
8 TL 547 456 Track Jn
9 TL 562 479 Bench
10 TL 579 437 Track Jn
11 TL 583 518 Track Jn
12 TL 588 574 Bridge
13 TL 570 587 Trig point
14 TL 525 584 Bridge
15 TL 518 620 Gate
16 TL 419 675 Track Jn
17 TL 392 643 Bend in track
18 TL 372 598 Footbridge
19 TL 381 580 Track Jn
20 TL 461 541 Monument
21 TL 316 540 Pub
22 TL 488 514 Barn
23 TL 520 497 Footbridge
24 TL 381 544 Stump
25 TL 519 538 Edge of woods
26 TL 420 558 Bridge
27 TL 544 563 Level crossing

As mentioned in my previous post I will announce the destination pub tomorrow morning.

Fecund Frolic - Partner Needed

Hi,

The weather looks OK'ish for tomorrow night so I'm looking for a partner to ride the 'Frolic'.

PT

Re: Fecund Frolic - Partner Needed

I'm planning on riding. Does two riders make a Frolic quorum?

Tony

It means we win by default, Tony. I'm still bringing the tache, even though it doesn't appear to be required.

Pale Rider
It means we win by default, Tony. .

I don't recall saying I would team up with you Pasty!

Nope. But I'm presumptious, as well as having a comedy tache.

Dom and I will be riding. Dom is utilizing all available technologies to optimize our route, I just hope we get to Harlton before last orders.

I think I have a spare 'tache, I'll see if I can find it. Snifter at Longstowe perhaps?

I think so. Perhaps this time we can persuade the owners to shave for the photo.

Re: Fecund Frolic - not yet recovered...

Thanks Paul, for a ride last night. I was going to say an enjoyable ride, but... No, a great evening despite the conditions under-wheel!

Pete and I ended up with a 35.5 mile bimble - here it is. I have overnight thought of lots of resons why we should have had extra points and why Pasty Tony and Charlie (or the Cheating Bas**rds, as they should henceforth be known) should have lost at least 250 points. For a start, Tony should have 100 points docked for those trousers.

We was robbed!

Dom

Blimmin heck Dom, that's a fair old ride!

Re: Tomorrow nights Fecund Frolic - The rules

Interesting pint of view Dom - especially given the admiring glances you gave my trouser region and the nostalgic reminiscences you had for your own similar pair of Kathmandu pantaloons.

I should like to remind you and Paul of the clothing criteria...

Paul L
additional extra points will be awarded for the pair in the most outlandish clothing as voted for by your peers.

Perhaps you should have made an effort with the dressing up!

Incidentally I did 36,5 miles all in - so there!

clearly I need to pay more attention when cut and pasting, I removed one reference to clothing but missed that one buried in the body of the text....

Good effort everyone.

Glad to see that we didn't humiliate ourselves for no good reason then, Paul.

Tony, I did admire the trousers and they did bring back many happy memories! But, all is fair in love, war and Fecund Frolicking, and I'll perjure myself, disown close relatives or be a cheerleader for Sky in the quest for a Frolic win.

Actually, scratch the bit about Sky. There are limits.

Dom

Claire
Blimmin heck Dom, that's a fair old ride!

It certainly was - and the depressing thing was that Pete hardly broke sweat! Meanwhile, I was a candidate for early heart failure...

Dom