Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Servicing forks

Hi Guys,
Just read Ali's post & subsequent posts. Ali mentioned to me that there was a guy just north of Ely who serviced forks - does anyone know of this person??

Cheers
GN

Re: Servicing forks

Hi Nige,

I mentioned to Ali that Jerry Turner of JT Cycles can service suspension. At least he once told me he can do such servicing. He's renowned for his excellent wheel building but he's also renowned for taking a long time over it.

Probably worth having a chat with him. He's on Yell.com; 01353 667627.

Cheers

Tom

Lovely, thanks Tom

Ian carter took his shock to him, it came back with issues & so was sent off to mojo.
I always find TF tuned very good, give the full collect deliver package & are very informative about what needs or has been done.
& yes if you've got the time Jerry is a cracking wheel builder.

I think Bike Art at Thetford Forest are worth a look. Paul, the owner used to work for Lotus, so know his way round suspension systems.

JT Cycles did mine too.

They totally failed to spot the broken rebound damper, applied grease where there should have been oil and told me my forks were not a recognised RockShox model.

I promptly went home, downloaded the service manual and did them myself. They were much better then :)

Hmmmm....

Well, if he's any good, Nige, it was my pleasure to point you in the right direction.
But if he's a pile of pants, just remember I didn't really recommend him!

PT

To be fair, I should add that that's the only bad experience I've had there.
In general they've been really helpful, even taking a mech hanger off a frame to replace my snapped one.