Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nicked bikes

As Pat posted on another thread, Alison and I had both of our bikes nicked off the roof of the car last night. Please don't trust Thule 591 carrier locks for anything...

Just in case anyone gets offered, or hears of them being offered, here are the details:

Mine is:
Whyte 46 6" suspension frame with Fox Float RP2 shock
Maverick DUC32 6" travel 'upside-down' fork
Shimano XT derailleurs and shifters
Shimano XTR crankset
Hope Mono M4 disk brakes with 180mm rotors front and rear
Mavic 321 Disc front wheel with Maverick 24/7 hub
Stan's ZTR Flow rear wheel with Hope Pro 2 Evo hub
Time ATAC XS clipless pedals
Frame number FA04060255, 5B-02

Alison's is:
Specialized Safire FSR Expert Carbon 120mm suspension frame with Specialized shock and Specialized Brain
Fox F32 Float 120mm travel fork
Shimano SLX derailleurs and shifters
Shimano XT crankset
Avid Elixir carbon disk brakes
DT Swiss wheels
Crank Brothers Candy clipless pedals
Frame number WUD-80600134B, EN14766

Gutted...

Dom

Re: Nicked bikes

Oh no!

incidentally, were they locked on and if so how did they get them off?

Sorry to hear this Dom.

Long shot but have you told the landlord in case one of the locals leaving the pub saw anything? I don't suppose they have CCTV in Fulbourn...

Very sorry to hear that. It's the sort of news that makes you want to buy a much, much bigger lock, in inverse proportion to the light weight of the bike.

Dom, assuming it's still here and the thieves haven't got past my pet lion, you can borrow whichever bike I'm not using. Alison - you can too if you can get on it.

Tom

Bikes were on Thule 591 lockable roof carriers, which are clearly not remotely secure despite all the reviews.

I've contacted the landlord and everyone else in the world. Maybe there's a chance we'll see them again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dom

Hi Dom,
Bad sh*t. Please let me know if I can lend you a bike.
D.

Really sorry to hear of your bad news Dom and Alison, I actually feel that now is the time to stop listing the pub stops on this open forum and decide on the night where the boozer stop is going to be as it only takes a tow rag to look on the forum and hey ho, he/she has a nice line up of bikes to choose from.

Bad luck Dom and Alison - that's a whole lot worse than trashing one from a roof rack. Tony

Nicked bikes

just looked at todays paper Friday 18th, on page 17, there is a story about what has happened.

also available here
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge/Couple-devastated-after-bikes-stolen-from-roof-rack-18052012.htm

Well done Pat, Ive posted the paper add on Epping MBRO35 so hopefully it will give a wider spread, you never know where the bikes will turn up. I hope Dom you will get your beloved Bikes back, I know Mr T has emailed local Bike shops. It's times like these you know who your friends are, wishing you both the bested of luck getting them back.

Shelton

Argh, still cannot believe this...just while you were in the pub with us...and Fulbourn is usually quite busy as well in the evening, where were you parked? Just wondering if you could ask in the co-op or the chinese takeaway or something to see if they had seen anything - or even just to ask if they noticed the bikes still on the roof when they shut up at 11 or whatever?

I hope they are stupid enough to try and sell them on in the Cambridge area and you get them back

And hope you are having a good holiday with Pete to try and forget about it!

That sucks. Sorry Dom and Alison.

Next time you guys head to the Six Bells, drop me a line and you can all lock your bikes in my garden- I live right next to the pub. (fahrradvelo@gmail.com)

Wes

Dom & Alison,

Gutted indeed, no other word for it! Really sorry for you guys. Fingers crossed you get lucky with a recovery by the police.

Richard