Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Plans for tonight?

Is the train out and bike back ride on tonight? I'm hoping to be able to make it although I have a late meeting at work.

Re: Plans for tonight?

Hi Ali,

I was talking to Duncan about this last week and he suggested going by train to Newmarket and working back from there.

But I've been trying to raise Duncan on his mobile this morning and left two messages so don't know if he's thought about it much more.

Anyway, the trains to Newmarket leave at 17 minutes to the hour and get there at 4 minutes past so our options are 6:43 and 7:43.(£5 single)

6:43 means a start ccyling at 7:04 which will be too early for some so I suggest that we either:-

1 - meet up at Brookside at no later than 7:30, high tail it to the station for the 7:43 train;
2 - meet at the station at around 7:30
3 - those Doing a Dom can meet up at the pub and follow option 1 above.

So none are exclusive - they're just different meeting points.

Which pub? Could choose the Six Bells at Fulbourn??

Route? If Duncan has gone AWOL then I've got a route in mind - I come from Newmarket you see.

Cheers

Pasty Tom

"I come from Newmarket you see."

Oh dear-do you really?

Shame-seemed such a nice chap

not out tonight btw

Hey Rick,

Are you not from Newmarket then? You seem to have the right, erm, credentials....

PT

UPDATE

I've spoken to Duncan and he's not sure whether he's out tonight. So, I guess that we get the 7:43pm to Newmarket. Please post here where you want to meet up - station, pub, train, Brookside...

Unless anyone has any particular favourite pub for the way back, shall we go with the Six Bells?

Lastly, if four or more buy a rail ticket together, you can benefit from a Group Save 4 ticket - cheaper.

Cheers

PT

I'm planning to ride, but i think it may be a good idea to meet at the train station at 7:30 due to the need to purchase tickets, get through customs and fight with all the Olympic traffic that is heading to London.

Also i have a rep to maintain and i think even i would struggle to get to brookside then on to the train in time without expiring.

They drove me out of town for being too tall!

Station at 7.30 sounds like a good plan to me. See you there.

Hoping to ride tonight but not absolutely certain. If I make it, will see you on the platform at Cambridge because I'll probably come in from Waterbeach by train.

Richard

On what must be the best night of the year (weather and track condition), and the likelihood of eclectic company (Bowes et al take a bow), I must decline. Altitude training in the Essex Alps today has left me with nothing in the legs, not that there is much there anyway.

I wish all on board the 19:43 to Newmarket bon voyage, and an incident free visit to the Six Bells.