Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for a really steep hill nearby- mission impossible?!

I'm riding the 3 Peaks Cross race at the end of September. In my effort to not tear my legs up too much hiking up Simon Fell, I'm looking for something nearby (Fulbourn) to carry my bike up on the shoulder (repeatedly). The best thing I've found so far is the chalk pit (or whatever it is) in Orwell- though its a bit far from my house to be able to use it very frequently (1 hour there on the bike +1 hour back + 1 hour running up and down the thing makes for a long session to do more than 1 or 2 times a week)

I've tried Fleam Dyke, but the sides are totally covered in nettles and brambles. Gog Magog ain't steep enough.

Any suggestions?

On a related note anyone headed to Thetford this weekend should stop in on Fire Road 6 and check out the Cyclocross Enduro this weekend- 3 hours of non-stop cross action!

Re: Looking for a really steep hill nearby- mission impossible?!

Hmmm...any footbridges with steep steps you could try? Not very natural I know!

I think you need to move house. I suggest the Alps.

How long do you want it to be?

What about the edge of the carpark near David Lloyd gym? (this is where we went sledging last winter hence why it springs to mind) Probably only about 30 m long though but steep.

Yea, I've used the footbridge at the end of fleam dyke. Its better than nothing but still shorter than the Orwell Pit. If anyone knows of other long sets of stairs let me know please!

As for length- as long as possible. I'm trying to simulate carrying my cross bike up Simon Fell! This should give you an idea of how nuts it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QG2kZjuFh0k#t=39s

I didn't know about the carpark at the David Lloyd gym- I'll check it out. Thanks.

Wes, not high but quite steep for running up and down is a lump on Coldhams Common. There is an access point from Barnwell Road almost opposite the vet and Pet Shop, I'll try and email you a map location.

Tony

Also, Paul L was telling me where they go sledging, somewhere in town, near a school? So maybe ask him as anywhere good for sledging should meet your criteria!

What about the pit on Limekilm Road? I haven't been there in years but I seem to remember something stupidly steep, similar to Orwell. I presume it's still accessible based on the paths which show up on Google maps? It's only a couple of miles from Fulbourn.

Richard

Hmm! Just watched the video, and it brought back loads of memories. I used to live on the Ingleton end of the ridge that leads up to Wearnside, Twistleton scar. The view of Inglebrough with the sheep was the view from my front window...no joke.
I hate to say it but this is mission impossible. There is nothing I know of in the area to match the duration of the climb you are after without a break but the pit near lime kiln lane sounds like your best bet.
Good luck and I hope it has not rained too much before the race or you may want to train in waders.

Thanks for the advice all. I'll head over to Limekiln Lane first I think.

Another thought for you.
It may be boring but you could try using a turbo trainer..not rollers but a proper turbo, set it to high resistance, stand up and maintain a cadence of about 40 to 50 rpm for an hour non stop.

Pat

Thanks pat, but the issue isn't resistance, its basically having you calves and achillies tendon maxed out for twenty minutes!

What you suggested is actually a well known training technique called 'muscle tension'. Big gear, low cadence. Mimics weight training. I actually like it a lot!