Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Runs list winge

So having looked at the current runslist I have to say that it is a little bit too biased to Stapleford/shelfords and area. How did we end up with a sequence like I've cut from the list and pasted below ?

23/10/2012 Tree, Stapleford 25/10/2012 Six Bells, Fulbourn
30/10/2012 Queen's Head, Newton 01/11/2012 Green Man, Grantchester
06/11/2012 Bees in the Wall, Whittlesford 08/11/2012 George, Babraham
13/11/2012 Royal Oak, Barrington 15/11/2012 Carpenter's Arms, Wilbraham

I know Dr Paul put a lot of effort into doing a list that visited pubs all around cambridge. With a visit to one of the pubs in Grantchester or Trumpington once a week (as we used to for twenty five years or more) so that during the winter we end up at a descent pub near town and a shortish ride home for everyone.
So how did it end up been changed/messed up before it was posted on the site.
I think that before the next runs list is drawn up it needs to be seen by more people than currently decide on it before it is finalised and posted. Then hopefully we can help to keep more pubs open & more riders happy!
That's me two bobs worth!
I look forward to & welcome constructive non arsey comment.

Re: Runs list winge

Duncan,

Constructive criticism maybe, but wouldn't it be either the three horse shoes comberton or the hare n hounds Harlton if you was left to do the runs list. I acknowledge the fact that Iv'e only been out with you guys once this year but my sleep disorder doesn't allow me to be out later than 10pm. sorry I don't have a pot to p*ss in that's my half penny's worth.

Early bird Shelton.

No I'm happy with a four mile ride home. Anyway the Three horse shoes closes on the 24th November and the Hairy hounds is on the market

Let's buy the Hare and Hounds!
(semi-serious post).

Re the current Runs List; it's really only a guide at this time of year as the weather is such a factor. If people still posted on the forum on the day of the ride to declare their intent, a reasonable discussion could be had about venue changes, etc. This would mean anyone 'doing a Dom' wouldn't get stitched up by driving to the wrong pub, but also a more suitable route for the conditions could be proposed.

Is that more than 2p's worth?

See you all soon when my life is back to 'normal'.