Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thursday - Three Horshoes Comberton

Happy new year to all.

Does anyone know if the Three Horseshoes has re-opened yet?

Thanks

Pete

Re: Thursday - Three Horshoes Comberton

Yes up and running on a low power setting. New Landlord will rehash in spring then full on.
But yes, it has reopened & I for one (or looking at the size of my chrimbo frontage) for two will be out.
We could if favoured on the night do a NON off road ride so as to avoid even more degradation of our lovely trails..... see how the mood takes us!!
But most of all..... HAPPY NEW YEAR
Now where did I put those fast freds?

It was certainly very soggy when Clare (#3, I think) and I went out Tuesday night. Some parts were unrideable, and we were lamenting the fact that we aren't potters, given the quality of the clay stuck to our bikes. In my American experience, it's what we call "mud bogging," and one needs a set of Super Swampers (tyres) and an oversized V8 pickup truck.

I'm geographically on top of some routes, but not their conditions in the wet...I would suggest high ground only, if that's possible. I might be out, if I can get the mud off my bike.

Thanks Duncan and Michael. I am definitely up for a non off-road ride, or as near to it as suits the majority. Need to do something to burn off the excess.....

Planning to ride tonight. Avoiding the mud sounds like a good idea, although I'll still have the nobbly tyres on, not going to risk changing them.

Richard

Also hope to be out - having just fitted the mud tyres I'm not going to take them off again.

I plan to come out, but dilema on the slick shod hardtail (if road riding) or knobblies on the inappropriate for Cambridge full suss, suppose the latter would be more of a work out. And a little bit of a mud never hurt anyone!

Might be out, but might not.
if i make it i will mostly be using Rocket Ron's that are as good in the mud as on tarmac.
not 100% certain i have needed anything better than that in the last 2 years.

pat

...and how many times have you fallen off in those 2 years, Pat?!?

(although I'm a fine one to talk)

I'll be riding on the road this evening, but elsewhere and alone (no mates) while my rib and shoulder continue to remind me that age is no barrier to mountain biking, but skill most definitely is...

See you soon-ish

MT

Fair point Mark.
See you soon ish