Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Winter Wobble

Dear all

Given the conditions under wheel at present I have decided to change the format of the Winter Wobble slightly, assuming enough people are interested in taking part.

The overall format is the same, ride in pairs, visit checkpoints and accumulate points (take photo as proof of visit), and return to the destination pub before 10 or incur a time penalty. However, for this event the checkpoints are all purveyors of alcohol that can be easily reached by road so the countryside need not be trashed too much.

Bonus points will be awarded for drinks consumed on the way, obviously with appropriate photographic evidence, and points will be deducted from the team with the dirtiest bikes! The time penalties will be as usual i.e.

1 to 10 minutes late - 2 points for each minute late
11 to 20 minutes late - 4 points for each minute late
21 to 30 minutes late - 10 points for each minute late
31 to 45 minutes late - 20 points for each minute late
Greater than 45 minutes late – lose all points!!

Please post if you intend to take part so I have an idea of numbers, list of checkpoints to follow.

Paul

Re: The Winter Wobble: The checkpoints

Here are the checkpoints as they are all pubs you know and love the grid refs should be superfluous to requirements!
One of these pubs will be the destination pub.

Description Grid Ref
1 The Lord Byron, Trumpington TL 444 550
2 The Blue Ball, Grantchester TL 432559
3 The Plough, Coton TL 413 589
4 The Blue Lion, Hardwick TL 371 583
5 The Three Horseshoes, Comberton TL 381 560
6 The Hoops, Barton TL 406 557
7 The Black Horse, Dry Drayton TL 382 620
8 The Chequers, Orwell TL 361 502
9 The Royal Oak, Barrington TL 390 493
10 The White Horse, Foxton TL 411 483
11 The Hare and Hounds, Harlton TL 388 522
12 The Queens Head, Newton TL 438 493
13 The Bees in the Wall, Whittlesford TL 468 485
14 The Tree, Stapleford TL 473 516
15 The Six Bells, Fulbourn TL 519 561
16 The Green Man, Thriplow TL 435 465
17 The Red Lion Hinxton TL 497 450
18 The Carpenters Arm, Wilbraham TL 548 573
19 The White Swan, Quy TL 521 605
20 The Plough and Fleece, Horningsea TL 491 621
21 The John Barleycorn, Duxford TL 479 461

Paul, I intend to ride, but is dependent on laziness, distance of destination pub, and amount of snow.

I am trying to persuade Clare (2) to ride with me :-)

good checkpoints Paul. Unfortunately I won't be out due to a chest infection (page 38 I believe)

Hi Paul,

I'm up for it, if I can get a partner. My usual partner appears to have excused himself!

Anyone care to join me?

PT

Other Clare isn't coming out (adding further evidence to my belief that she doesn't exist) so I don't have a partner, we can pair up if you like Pasty?

If I don't wimp out of riding that is :-)

Sorry Claire,
I am now spoken for! Dom and I are, well, together for the evening...

PT

Hiya,

I'm keen to ride so can double up with a spare MTB-er if there is one.

In fact, I'm so keen to get frost bite on my toes, I'm going to turn up anyway and I'll attach myself to a pair if the numbers don't stack up.

Laters!

Charlie

Re: The Winter Wobble: The destination

Tonights destination pub is the Hare and Hounds at Harlton for anyone fancying doing a Dom.

See you later.

Paul

That was meant to say "feels rejected" but I surrounded it with greater than and less than signs and the html rendering has stripped it out.

Charlie I will team up with you if i am out.

Bowes & I will be limping around.

Think i'm gonna wimp out, right now it seems a long way home from the Hare and Hounds in this cold (also it's Ade's birthday tomorrow and I haven't wrapped his presents. ANd I have chillblains. Which page is that in the excuse manual?)

That's in Volume 2