Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ding Dong, Ding Dong, Ding Dong, Wibble!

i realise it is getting un-fashionable to post, but i've never been one to follow tradition too closely.

anyone going to join me for a ride tonight? Mudguards optional.

Dom? i know it is your favourite pub

Re: Ding Dong, Ding Dong, Ding Dong, Wibble!

I might come out, what's it like out at the moment, is it very muddy or has it dried up a bit?

the track out the back of Teversham, where we walk the dogs, is dry and dusty. It was pretty sticky a week ago, so i'd say most tracks are dry, but with a few wet areas.

I might come out tonight. Need to take a few enthusiasm pills first though.

chris

Baby sitting tonight.
Went out yesterday and the fields were very dry.....everywhere else was either 6" deep in water or mud

I am planning to ride tonight. Ground conditions at the weekend were dry, so will have the dry set up this evening.

Tom R

We rode at Thetford on Monday, and it wasn't quite bone dry there, but close to it. I suspect round here might be slightly wetter, but should still be way better than what we've been seeing recently!

Despite the chill in the air (it's snowing here at the moment) I would really like to come out, but we're going to see Dr Feelgood in Bury St Edmunds tonight, so rather than riding, I shall be drinking milk followed by alcohol...

Dom

Not entirely decided about tonight - we are in the middle of decorating (at least my wife is - I'm at work!) so I may forego the cycling to make progress on the painting.

Trail conditions? It wasn't too bad when I went out on Sunday and it'll be dry and very cold tonight so no real need for the mud tyres. Famous last words...

PT

Can someone text me which way you are heading out so I can meet you? I want to come out but want an easy ride as meant to be doing 100mile sportive on Sunday, need to save my legs a bit. Thought not heading into town and back out again would cut out a few miles

Yep forecast is for Dry but Chilly! Definitely be out tonight :)

Geordynige

Was thinking about around the back of Marshall's Airport to Teversham and Fulbourn Fen.

I'm planning on riding tonight. Ground conditions were good on Tuesday only a couple of boggy bits.

I'm planning on meeting you at the airport so please text me if you decide not to go that way.

Gents,
Unforts something has come up so I won't be out tonight

Enjoy

GN

Geordynige
Gents,
GN

And lady, potentially...

Definitely not. Far too cold for me these days. Last week's ride home was at -4 deg C, and I reckon tonight will be similar. Shame, as the ground conditions are pretty dry at present, and the mild at the 6 Bells is particularly pleasant.

I posted prior to this one about tonight under the "Go east young man" subject.

I suggested coming back via the dyke, which is totally dry, and then into fulbourn reserve where there is a short section of singletrack that needs bedding in.

I will come with Paul to find you guys at the airport. The dyke sounds fun, also the Fulbourn singletrack.

Sudden workload influx (which has to be done ahead of my day off tomorrow) at 16:30 today.

Definitely have to miss tonight

PT

Running late. If not there, I'll try and find you guys at the airport or such.

Come on paste..he..i me old son....your with friends....drop the cowboy hard bastiard thing, we know the world wasn't won in a day & that middle man memo is a mother of an explanation into the relation between Graffham sarnies and death of the shareholders andrex.
Hey Hoe.....i'm actually sober enough to find this quite grown up
When are we going to have a socialble (what ever) evening of jollities (wow the spell doofry allowed that one)come on
some where late and fun.........................no not the six bells......... I bet Sue will facilitate!
LETS AVE A LAUGH YOU MOTHER....type peeps !

are you sure your sober duncan?

I couldn't find my enthusiasm pills, the cold wind must have blown them away!

Good ride last night. Sorry for disappearing, I went to drop my bike at home and the wife had dinner waiting and the hearth was roaring.

I heard someone say that the dyke towards Balsham sucks (or something like that.) The last little bit next to the wind turbines isn't great (but not really any different than most of the other cambridgeshire stuff we ride on normally) but once you get into the wooded section its great. From there until the junction to the bridge over the A11 its the best riding in Cambridgeshire as far as I can tell.

its on OpenStreetMap, as is the newer stuff I cleared out in Fulbourn. Out along the Roman Road and back via the Dyke from Balsham through the Fulbourn Fen makes a great 1:15-1:30hr ride.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/284158611

Wes that sounds a good loop thanks!
Duncan you must have been pissed when you posted surely?
A late social night out you say? Like the last one where you got really drunk and nearly got beaten up?