Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A bit on the sore side....

Tree Crowd,
I managed to slowly ride home lastnight after my rather stupid crash!! Note to self:- do not try adjusting proppedal setting while going down a very slippy, muddy "downhill". Both shoulders, neck and back are rather stiff this morning to say the least!!

Hope you enjoyed your beers whilst I was recovering in a hot bath!!

Cheers
GN

p.s. the Trek is back with Grafham to try and continue the investigation to find this damn creak!!

Re: A bit on the sore side....

sounds painful Nige, hope you feel less sore soon....

Hope you're feeling better Nige. We ended up in the Three Horseshoes in Stapleford - warmer pub with better beer than the Tree - we should go thee more often.

Nige, you might be pleased to hear I crashed as well. The northeners (one of whom tagged along) will think none of us down here can ride a bike. :-)

Mine was a much less painful slo-mo crash when my front wheel got stuck in excessive mud.

At least I impressed Pasty. I was wondering whether he would take a picture, but I guess he saves his memory card space for pictures of Pat crashing.

Not this week, he didn't.
Hope you feel better soon Nige.

Hope your felling a bit better now, tell them to check the pedals.

Luke

I didn't want to get mud on my screen, Riaan! It was a wonderful slo-mo off, though. You didn't appear to put any limbs out to stop yourself as you tipped over. It was like the world suddenly tipped sideways!

My note to self is to get a Go Pro camera and leave it on permanently.

I had my own close shaves, as did Tony. Only Luke hadn't changed his tyres away from mud tyres; prescient given the rain.

PT

Were Luke's mud tyres a left-over Christmas prescient?

Bad luck, Nige. Pesky mud... I thought we'd seen the last of it for a bit.

Hi Nige,

Sorry to hear of your prang - hope you are feeling better by now.

Re damned creak. As mentioned previously: Pedals. But saddle rail clamps, have fooled me in the past.

HTH

Pete