Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
spare lights?

"Q. Jeez... that's still a lot of money to spend. What if you're too fast/slow/unfriendly* and it turns out I don't like riding with you anyway?
A. Several of the regulars are total bike light geeks and have spare systems. Ask in advance and it's quite likely that someone will be willing to lend you a set for a ride or two so you can see if night riding is your cup of tea."

Hi guys!
I'm keen to join you this Thur for a ride but don't have said "flash" lights yet. Does anybody perhaps have a spare system I could borrow for a day or so?

Thanks
Ruhan

Re: spare lights?

Come on, has someone got a spare light that Ruhan can borrow? Seems a bit quiet on here Ruhan, but some people do have spare lights, I don't though sorry.

Re: spare lights?

Thanks Claire, no worries.

Quote from snowbikers.com:

"Psychological studies have revealed that the would-be night rider passes through several recognizable stages on their way to enlightenment.

1. Denial: "They want how much?!?", "There is no way on earth I'm going to pay that!" etc. etc.
2. Improvisation: Riders at the improvisation stage may be spotted with "that nice powerful mag-lite that lives in the car" duck-taped to their helmet. It ultimately depends on neck muscle strength, but this stage rarely lasts for more than a couple of rides.
3. Self reliance: During this stage, statements like "I could make one of those for a quarter of the price" are common. Depending on individual abilities, some riders never get beyond this phase, and there are complete news-groups dedicated to the subject.
4. Acceptance: Out comes the credit card."

I recon I'm late stage 3 heading towards stage 4.

I'll most likely join you guys soon!

Ruhan