Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Xmas Dinner

Right, having talked to Pastrami last night we have ruled out going anywhere except central Cambridge.

General consensus last night was that the Castle works well and we would be happy to go there again.

Duncan, I really like the Rice Boat. I have only been there once though, and can't remember if it has an "area" we could take over, or would we be enough to book out the whole place? As the advantage of the Castle is that we get that little area to ourselves.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Xmas Dinner

Rachel booked a group of 52 acas in there recently and they loved it.
The Sala thong has upstairs...... And a waiter who can't speak
The castle was..... OK...... But it was a bit.... Mmmnnnnnaaaah
A sort of feel a change would be refreshing?!?!

Re: Xmas Dinner - 3 Horseshoes another Option

I checked out the 3 horseshoes at Stapleford.

They do 3 courses for £17.50, and would have space for us on Dec 17th.

I like the idea of the Rice boat

Tom R

Re: Xmas Dinner - 3 Horseshoes another Option

Hi Claire,

The Castle is good for me. Alternatively is anyone up for a festive curry and then the castle? Plenty of options in that area too!

I'm easy - going to Sala Thong this week so wouldn't mind somewhere else. In town would be my priority

I like others really like the Castle and it is an excellent drinking pub with 3 curry houses within staggering distance.

If we can get a collective vote, booking a table on the run up to crimbo for a possibly large number may need to be done sooner rather than later.

What's appnin & ouse organising?

Right we need to organise!!

I went to the Rice Boat last night, and I have to say I don't know how having a group of about 30 would work. We would take up about half the place, and it's quite noisy and open, and if we want to do awards etc, then I think this would feel quite rude? So I would vote against it myself, but happy to be swayed if everyone else wants to go there. The other issue with the Rice Boat is I have heard they can be a bit disastrously disorganised with big groups.

The Castle is good, but I am also happy to go somewhere else.

The Three Horseshoes in Stapleford is not that far from town? I guess not ideal for anyone who was thinking of taxiing rather than cycling though and not ideal for the Comberton/Oakington/Cottenham contingent.

A general curry could be good? I think though, curry and then the Castle would defeat the point of going to the castle, which is to get that area up top all to ourselves.

What about mill road area? We did the Cambridge Blue once? Or the Geldart?

The Geldart has a fancy-ish restaurant side and a small pub side, so might not be suitable?

I like the Castle for large gatherings, but also I think you can hire the upstairs rooms in both the Maypole and the Boathouse for free.