Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hello

Hi,
My name is Elly, I've been mountain biking for a few years now and recently moved to Cambridge. I might come along to the thursday night ride if thats ok? I just need to get some decent lights. Does anyone know the best place to get some? Will halfords do?
Thanks
Elly

Re: Hello

Hi Elly,

You are very welcome to join us - there's no membership fee or any other such formality so please just turn up.

As you allude to, the only 'ticket to ride' is a decent set of lights. There's a sticky thread at the top of the forum which has some FAQ's and experiences / recommendations but, in a nutshell, if you come across a light which has people going "turn it off! turn it off!" in broad daylight then it's probably going to be good enough for riding off-road at night.

For front lights, a minimum of 500 lumens will get you round, although many of us are much brighter - 1000 lumens +++ - so you might find yourself 'outgunned' (no problem if you are behind those with brighter lights, though!).
For rear lights, a cheap, weatherproof, flashing LED as per normal commuting should be fine.

Dunno about Halfords lights. They all look a bit on the low powered side to me when I look at their website. There are cheaper and much brighter options on Amazon if you are looking at the budget end of the market.

You could always borrow a set of lights, of course. Plenty of the riders in the group have spare sets and they are usually happy to loan them out - just post and ask.

You'd be welcome to my spare set, but I will be in sunny Wales on Thursday so won't be out, I'm afraid.

Best wishes

Tom

Hi Elly!
If I'm out on Thursday and if I can fix the dubiously fastened together mount that fell to bits on my ebay special lights, you can borrow them. Am I selling it?

If your halfords lights are just standard commuter lights, they are likely to be not up to the job. If you can afford 20 quid then the ebay specials are very bright. these sort of things
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-1800-Lm-Bicycle-bike-Head-Light-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Head-/221289019511

These are definitely bright enough to ride off-road with, but reliability/lasting of battery might be a problem. As I said the mount on mine came undone of its own accord, it looks like it will just screw back in though, just not got round to it yet! Most people have more expensive lights of some description, but you would probably want to nosey at what people have on a ride/check you like night riding before you buy anything more expensive.

Hi Elly, and welcome - hope you make it out on Thursday

I'm planning on being out on Thursday, and I've got an Exposure Joystick that I can bring with me for you to borrow/try if you'd like - and it's surplus to requirements so I could probably be persuaded to sell it! It's complete with helmet mount, charger, case and RedEye plug-in rear light. It's a few years old now, so not the same as the current one I've linked to - I think the only real difference is that the current one is 400 lumens and mine is 240. It will do as your only light at a push if riding in a group of people with lights, and is great as a helmet light paired with something on the bars as well.

If you wanted to spend more money for more light, my friend's lights might still be available.

Let me know if you'd like me to bring it...

Cheers
Dom

Hi Dom,
Thank you very much. Unfortunately I can't make this Thursday, but hope to come next week, and if I could borrow your light that would be great (if your out). Is there a day that more people tend to go?

Thanks
Elly

Thanks very much Claire, hopefully I will come out next thursday, will you be going?

Hiya, I don't think I will be out next Thursday but I might be out on Tuesday. I am sure someone will be able to sort you out some lights though.

In terms of which night to come out, for some reason at the moment Tuesdays seem quieter than Thursdays, but either is fine, there is usually at least a few people out unless it's the direst of weather, in which case you probably don't want to be coming out for your first ride anyway!

Hi Elly

Are you still planning on riding tonight? Unfortunately, I can't make it out, but if you wanted to borrow the light we could meet up somewhere for me to pass it over? Do let me know!

Cheers
Dom

Hi Dom, sorry only just seen this! I live on Mill road, its probably too late now?! Sorry I'm a bit useless and don't have smart phone to check the forum during the day! Where abouts in Camb are you?

Hi Elly

Sorry, you're right - it's too late! I'm just about to leave for Bedford and will get there late if I come via Mill Road or Brookside...

Another time? I hope to be out next week.

Cheers
Dom

No problem Dom, sorry for getting back to you so late. Next week would be great. Tues or Thurs? And should I bring a back light or will you be able to lend both? I have a cheap red LED light from halfords but not sure that will be good enough? I will obviously aim to buy my own set soon. Thank you and sorry again.

Hi Elly

I'm planning on being out next Tuesday, but not Thursday.

Rear lights aren't SO important but you do need one! A Halfords one should be fine, and there is a rear LED on the Joystick that I'll lend you as well...

Cheers
Dom

Hi Dom,
I am planning on coming tomorrow so would be great to borrow your lights if still ok. Is the exposure joystick to go on my helmet? would you mind fitting it all on for me as I won't have a clue?! I can get there a bit earlier if needed.
My Number 078288 56557 if needed as I can't access this site during day. Thanks, Elly.