Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No-one riding tonight?

Everyone put off by how far away Thriplow is?

After umming and ahing, I've decided to go out

Re: No-one riding tonight?

Had been planning on riding but work and jet lag got in the way.

See you all next week

Like Paul, work got in the way, and the need to put a new tyre on.

But your guess was right as well, Mike - Thriplow is a long way away. Did anyone end up going? May be worth thinking about for future dates on the runs list. Maybe a mid-summer only destination to take advantage of the longer evenings?

Dom

I waited at Brookside for a while, but I didn't expect anyone else to turn up and when no-one did I rode solo. I had planned a route passing through Thriplow, but I underestimated the distance up the Roman Road to Linton so came home by a more direct route.

I don't think it's problem looping through the villages at that distance, the main problem for me at least is stopping there and then getting home after leaving the pub (maybe if I stopped having 3 pints it would be easier )

I would have been out but still working long hours at the mo.
Thriplow is two miles further than Newton, should that be a problem when its warmer & the clocks have changed? Never use to be!?!
I suppose it all depends where you live, this is why I centre all rides on Brookside unless it's a 'special' night.

I don't think Thriplow's too far either. We can always change our minds on the anyway if people pipe up early enough and aren't feeling enthusiastic.

I am not out this week as Ade is working too hard so not home in time.

Weeeell...

Thriplow is 10 miles, give or take, back to Brookside, if you use a bit of offroad and the guided busway. You could probably shorten it a bit if you did all road, but we're CamMTB, right? : Our average speed is around 8.5 mph (according to my extensive records - sad git, I know), so that's 1hr 10mn. Google maps says 30 minutes from my house to the Green Man or 21 minutes to Brookside - plus trying to find somewhere to park makes it 30 as well.

So, assuming I leave the pub at 11 (questionable, eh, Mike?!), I can either leave home at 6.55 for Brookside and get home again at 12.35, or leave home at 5.45 for the Green Man and get home at 11.30.

Either of those makes for a pretty long evening on a school night, and leaving at 5.45 after having got the bike and me ready and having had something to eat is stretching it a bit

All that said, I think pubs as far out as Thriplow should be included in the runs list, but my suggestion remains that it should be on what are, in theory, longer warmer nights!

Dom

I agree, Newton, Abington, Duxford, Thriplow, etc. should be included, there's some good riding and good pubs out there and most of the time I'd do it. Just have to accept that they might be smaller groups, just like Cottenham, Over, Horningsea, etc. might put off people living in the south villages. It's boring always riding to the same place!

(last night I traced my Tuesday route backwards then headed over to Thriplow just to have done it...)

Claire is correct (as always)
Dom, surely that will be YOUR average speed!?!

Yeah, you're right - I always finish about two hours after everyone else...

I don't care where the pub is, what the weather is like or how far it is.
I just like to get out and ride, and the company is always good, and that makes it all worth while.