Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newbie here

Hi

I'm an engineering student just about to graduate, and only just discovered this group. On a bit of a whim, I've signed up to ride in XC BUCS (the national student sport league) on the 7th. I've never raced before and only realised my passion for MTB last summer, but am really keen to get involved. I'm collecting my mountain bike from home today, now that I'm finished with exams, but I'm a bit rusty, having not done any trails since I was home for Easter.

I was wondering if it would be possible to join you on a ride this Tuesday (the 3rd) and maybe also on Thursday, to brush up before the race? The issue is that I don't have decent lights (and can't really afford them now), so would anyone have any I could borrow?

It would be great if I could join you!

Cheers
Alex

Re: Newbie here

Hi Alex,
More the merrier ..............
Work permitting I'll be out on Tuesday night & can lend you a light until the pub. You should only need a normal bike light after this as the route home is nearly all road.
Let me know if you need it.

Re: Newbie here

Hi Duncan

That would be great if I could borrow your lights, thanks. I'll bring my road lights as well.

See you tomorrow!