Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tour de France

So the Tour de France kicks of in Yorkshire this weekend and comes to Cambridge on Monday. Anyone got any plans to see it?

I am supposed to be going up this Thursday and staying in Harrogate (although my family members up there have had a medical situation, so I need to reconfirm). Not sure on the actual plan to watch the race, Saturday could be sprint finish in Harrogate but I think my cousin wants to ride out of town and watch them go past on both days.

Then I'm coming back down here on Sunday night to see it in Cambridge. Not sure yet if I want to join the chaos on Parkers Piece, watch them negotiate the Round Church, or go out of town to see them on the road.

Re: Tour de France

We are going to see it. However, I will have at least one child with me (the elder one may be "sick" too), so thinking definitely not parkers piece. This also restricts us to not miles away - so no Finchingfield, etc.

At the moment thinking Shelford sort of area.

Finchingfield could be good if you fancy a ride as I think they have a big screen?

Saw this on twitter, thinking about here

Trumpington Rec

Though thinking about it, is that actually right on the route? I haven't really studied the route yet.

The route through Cambridge is a crazy twisty thing so they can get as many photos as possible of the peloton against the historic buildings... basically from Parkers Piece they go up as far as the Round Church and then down King's Parade. From Trumpington Street they carry on straight down the A1134/A1301/B184 to Saffron Walden. I think they get released to start racing at Trumpington.

Finchingfield or somewhere else with a screen would be fun. I was also thinking that along Radwinter Road after they go through Walden would be good, the road narrows and goes uphill, so the peloton will slow down and get stretched out and there could be an attack, also there is a pavement alongside to stand on.

BTW still not sure what we'll do on Saturday and Sunday, but on Friday I think the plan is to ride the first stage route from Leeds to Harrogate. If anyone else is around they're welcome too.

Strange how a yokel of these parts thinks about things in a different way?!
Family Cook had a great day and was even more happy that it happened in our home town (2/3), great day, hope. cook Junior remembers it for ever☺