Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tuesday 15th.... The missing sock?

With due concern to it's location why I'm suggesting this I am struggling to justify.....but, Why not me darlings!!

Re: Tuesday 15th.... The missing sock?

Planning to ride tomorrow, and Bottisham is fine for me

I'm a new rider interested in coming along. Can I meet you later for the trip to Bottisham? Bit short notice I know, I can also do next Tuesday. I'm used to biking around here so I know my way around ok.

I have read your instructions about lights and borrowed an off-road one. Should it get dark in time riding at night would be something new for me but looking forward to giving it a go.

Hi Paul,

Sure thing, come along.

At this time of year we probably won't need lights until maybe the last 20 minutes to the pub, and then of course on the way home after (straight down Newmarket Road from Bottisham)

Thanks MikeT. Sounds good, see you later. You will probably spot me from the conspicuous white Kona mtb.

I hope to be out as well. I've never been to the Missing Sock, so I don't have an opinion on whether we should go there or not.

Good god that is the furthest from Haslingfield you can get ........... I will be out

you have clearly never been to the Bell in Balsham...

Not riding this evening but hope to be out for the epic on Thursday.

Yes the Bell back to Barrington.... now that was a bit of late night distancešŸ˜¢

Any way after whinging like fluk, I'm going to be home too late to get back into town. Have to let us know what the missing was like.

It was shut-must have heard a load of sweaty cyclists were on the way so put the lights out and hid behind the bar until we passed by. Adjourned to the White Swan just to give Paul a bit longer ride home, which was nice (the pub not the ride home).The Wheatsheaf was also closed, can't be enough drinkers to go round it appears!

Great ride last night. Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome, and to Mike for setting the route. Hope I can join you again soon.

I'm sure you normally have better luck with the pubs!

Maybe a lucky escape, the Missing Sock is a bit odd. The only time I went there all the staff were quite obviously massively hungover (it was a lunchtime) and a bit confused.