Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Claire, are you riding on Tuesday?

Heh Claire,
What is that you have?... Oh a gpx for a cracking new route your leading on Tuesday, oh is that a train out train back ride?? Sounds great, you know what would really make it special?!?!?!
Yes, that's right, a bit of Thai food & a cracking good pint. I know, who could ask for more on a Tuesday night. How could ANYONE not want to head out for this amazing evening?!?!?
oooo I wonder how much & what time the trains run?!?

Well that sounds a tip top night, anyone else coming????

Re: Claire, are you riding on Tuesday?

Hehe thanks for drumming up interest Duncan :-)

YEs the plan is for a ride to a certain Thai pub tomorrow night.

I am just waiting to hear back from Sergio that they will definitely still be open then. But I have a route planned and it will be awesome!

Oh and the only sensible train time is 19:17 I think. As there is only one an hour. Plan is to start riding from Newport station. I am thinking of doing a Dom.

So: train out, bike, pub, train back? (or do a Dom instead of training)

Do you intend to start at 7.30 from Newport? I can't see any 1917 trains, but there's one at 1851 (from Cam) that arrives at 1913. Trains back are 27 minutes past the hour

I'm planning to come along

Hi Claire,
Which trains are we to take?

Apologies, I meant the 19:21, gets in at 19:43 is the one I was planning on.

That ok for everyone?

I'm planning on catching the train at Shelford (19:26), the last train back appears to be 00:17!
See you later.
Paul

Claire, do you know how long your planned route is?

It's such a lovely day I'm thinking of biking down to Newport, leaving Science Park at 5.30...

I plan to join you - I will probably be doing a Dom as I have to be up and away early in the morning. See you at Newport station around 7.45. Presumably the pub is 'Ananta'??

Mike, it's about 16 miles with options for shorter or longer if we choose.

I am sure you can manage the extra :-)

I may be getting there early and scoping out a bit of the route I have failed to do yet.

I think I will park at Newport but yes the pub is Ananta's in Wicken Bonhunt.

Paul I can give you a lift back if you like. Ade is coming too so probably only room for one extra but I can try to get 4 in so might be room for another person as well (2 bikes racks on roof, two in car....)

It's my wedding anniversary today so I'll be out Thursday night instead.

Have a great ride and meal everyone!

PT

I can fit one more in the car if wanted - but I may leave little earlier than is desirable. let me know if you want a lift in either direction O7914 765 63O

I'm coming, but am concerned that I might be doing the same as anyone else so I'm going to drive to Whittlesford, cycle (not with Mike)to Newport station (not because I'm too tight to take a train), meet you there, hopefully ride off the front all night, drink water in the toilets of the pub & take an earlier train back to whittlesford & drive home alone.
Sounds like a cracking night ride!!! I love cycling social evenings

Aha - I have the car! See you at Newport at 7:45