Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newbie, questions about weekend rides and Strava

Hey guys,

I'm new to MTB, I actually race in time trials and wanted to do something completely different on the bike. I know you do Tue and Thur rides which i would find it difficult to do due to work, and I don't see many topics about weekend rides.

Are weekend rides regular at all? Would be keen to ride if anything is going on.

I noticed there was a post about Strava so some of you guys are on it, but there is no Camb MTB club set up on there. I've joined a local Royston MTB and Essex Herts MTB clubs on Strava, as I've found them really useful to see rides and learn new routes.

Is there any interest in creating a Camb MTB club?

Chris

Re: Newbie, questions about weekend rides and Strava

Hi Chris

Weekend rides aren't organised, however, I'm up for regular sat or sun morning ride, which is what i do most weekends anyway. Would also give more time for thetford trips.

I don't think there is a strava club, but many are on there. I'm on as Christof MTB.

Will have to check out royston club - not too far from me.

Christof

Start one, I'll join :)

I don't think I'm qualified to start a Strava club given I've not even been on a club ride. You can add a club logo and description which I don't have the knowledge to do. But if anyone else wants to, please go ahead.

Cheers Christof, sent a follow request. Perhaps we can get a ride together.

Hi Chris,

First off, we aren't a club, we are a group of people who arrange rides through an internet forum... but I don't think that stops there being a Cambridge Mountain-biking group on Strava, and recently I have actually been thinking about finding out how they work.

There are three or four group regulars and a few occasionals on Strava, I'm probably the main culprit since I post about it sometimes. I think there is a feeling that it is something for roadies, so if you come along don't expect too much conversation about Strava KOMs etc!

People sometimes post trying to arrange weekend rides, but usually there doesn't seem to be much interest. We're a pretty casual group and people have to fit things around families and other commitments. I'm usually riding on Saturdays and Sundays, but usually on my road bike and I'm thinking of going the other way and getting in the local club road rides, but I'd also be interested in arranging mtb groups too.

Ok, just for those who are interested I've created a Cambridge MTB group on Strava: http://www.strava.com/clubs/106382

I haven't associated it with this forum yet

Thanks Mike., joined up.

Given the race season for me will be over in Sept, I'll be more available for weekend rides. As I live in Great Chishill, I know a few routes south of the A505, even after only ridng off road so recently. So where for example today you headed near Saffron Walden, I could link up sme routes from there to Royston. So whenever you have a weekend ride planned, post it up.