Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tubeless schmoobless

OK I'm trying to go tubeless. I'm covered in sealant and fairy liquid. The tyre has seated. God I'm good.

But there's a small hole in it so it won't inflate!! Argh! Will it seal up overnight if I leave it at the bottom where the sealant gathers or should I get a new tyre? Anyone recommend a good all rounder tyre (quite fast not too crap in mud ) that works well with tubeless? The tyre I am trying is a high roller xc (which I like in general so tempted to get another pair if they still do them)

Re: tubeless schmoobless

So I take it back, turns out it's leaking all around the rim too, even though it seems to be seated. Any ideas?

Call me old fashioned, but I think there's good reasons I'm sticking with tubes!

The sealant should seal the leaks? You need to work it round the inside of the tire. How hard are you pumping it up, I usually go to around 60psi initially.

You're welcome to give my compressor a try if you like, but if its seated and holding pressure temporarily you shouldn't need it.

Chris

Yeah, don't need a compressor as it's on. I forgot to mention that my pump appears to be bust so I don't know what pressure it's at but it felt like 40 maybe 45.

Is the sealant just pissing out?

are the tyres tubeless ready? assume you have tubeless rims or conversion kit.
just did mike with spec xc 2bliss tyre and joe's no probs.

No they aren't tubeless tyres. I knew that non-tubless tyres leaked air and that the sealant was meant to seal it but I didn't think they would leak this much and all round the rim. Anyway I rotated it a fair bit and when I pumped it up this morning they have stayed up but I think air is still coming out a bit. The sealant isn't really coming out much, just air (and bubbles from the fairy liquid i had to put on the rim to get the tyre to seat) - I can hear the sealant in there still. They are tubeless rims.

I might come early tonight and bring a spare tube depending on its state this evening, otherwise give up and put a tube in.

try holding the wheel vertically and shaking it side to side to get the sealant to the leak. Rotate the wheel round while you do this.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb/tubeless-latex-butyl-tube.aspx

Hi Clur,
P.S. I won't be out at any time I suggested I might be in the near future
Any chance of some pictures, obviously, for proof purposes only?