Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yet more advice please. :-) Where to stay in the Peaks?

This isn't the long-threatened winter tyre debate. Yet.

(Medusas anybody?)

However, I'd like to ask the Peaks regulars where they normally stay? We will consider camping in summer, but some reasonable B&B / cottages for autumn/spring would be handy as well.

This is separate to the Llandegla / Afan discussion.

Cheers!

Re: Yet more advice please. :-) Where to stay in the Peaks?

My brother lives in Bakewell - but he hates bikes unless they have engines.

Not very helpful but it eliminates one cottage from the Derbyshire list.

We always used to stay at the woodbine cafe but I think Judith is selling up. She was still working until she sold it though.

Have also stayed in yha Castleton which was quite nice.

Yes, I've stayed at Juliths alot over the years. She did threaten to sell up about 15 years ago, but she's still there!!
Last year we camped just down the road on a great site with a small pitch area right beside a stream full of Wovley ikkle ducklings..
Still only five mins to the Cheshire. (Can't be bad)

I did think about Woodbine Cafe.

What's the bike storage like there -- quite secure or not? I remember stories about bikes being stolen there, but they may have just left them outside while having tea.

Hi Riaan

I believe that Judith is 'subject to offer' on the Woodbine Cafe, but is holding onto the B&B side. I'm pretty sure you can still stay there.

There's a lockable garage round the back that's got room for four maybe five bikes, so good to check before you go that it would be available for you.

We've camped a couple of times this year at Pindale Farm. They also have bunkhouse accommodation which is very good value, with toilets showers etc within the bunkhouse for the Engine House and the Barn. If you stay in the Powder House you have to use the same loos as the campers! I think the Silver Surfer has stayed there and rates it.

Alternatively, Thorndene is a really nice B&B. The owners are keen bikers and there's a big lockable garage for bikes and you can use their hose for a post-ride wash (and your bikes as well, if you like...)

Both Pindale and Thorndene are a bit of a walk to the Old Hall pub in the middle of the village, but only 15 minutes or so - and it makes the beer taste better!
Dom

Excellent, thanks Dom! I think I'd prefer a bunk bed to sleeping in a tent after a day out in the Peaks...