Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Insurance (probably house)

So, when I got my commuting bike nicked in august, I could only claim up to £1000 for it, due to this being the limit that my house insurance provider puts for bike claims.

In the case of my commuting bike, that was fine, but if the off-road steeds got half-inched, then i'd be seriously out of pocket.

My house insurance is up for renewal and I think that it's potentially time for a change.

(IIRC) Pasty told me that he uses AXA for house insurance and that they cover all his harem of bikes at full value without batting an eyelid.

suggestions/recommendations from anyone ? I'm currently with the Co-op.

Norman

Re: Insurance (probably house)

ours are listed on the policy. Currently with John Lewis - they were actually reasonable priced!

Chrs

like Chris ours are listed on the house insurance policy. Moved from Barclays to Direct Line this year as the quote including the bikes was half the price.

Mine are not fully insured (with Nationwide).

But I looked into moving to John Lewis, they seemed good, but quite expensive? I think about 60 quid a month.

So I haven't got round to it yet.

Marks and Spencer do it for me.

I use the NFU, covers full value of the bikes, home or away, and out buildings like sheds too.
Most do not cover out buildings.
They are not the cheapest but they get the Which? Best buy and it is cheaper if you "agree" to a 5 year cover....but no penalty if you leave after 1 year.

Hi Norman,

I'm no longer with Axa as I found a cheaper company. Forgotten their name, though....

The important point is to get insurance that covers you for when your bike is away from your home. All mine are covered for theft and malicious / accidental damage.

So if I have a crash (other than an "arsing about" crash) I am covered for damage. I've had this cover since I had my first mountain bike and have claimed once, so worth having the peace of mind, I think.

Regards

Tom

Thanks All.

So far, i've had a 1+hr conversation with the NFU - they were unable to tell me how much it would be to cover the bikes so i'm awaiting a call back from them !

Hi Norm,
Did the NFU come back with a sensible price in the end?
It's my turn to renew and I need to do it by Friday... So no rush
I have a 9% increase and I have not made a claim in 8 years.....time for a polite rant and to tell them Direct line are half the price.

Sorry Pat, been in China for the last two weeks

(including MTB in Taipei with this crew http://www.alansmountainbike.com.tw/)

My original quote was £437 (Co-op). When I added the bikes to the NFU, they came out at about £900, so I decided not to go with them.

I then noticed that the Co-op had started doing bikes as named items, up to £2000. So i decided to take a look at them. With my Turner, the Mrs' Juliana and the bakfiets cargobike as named bikes, this came out to about £680....

I jiggled with taking the bakfiets off and then just leaving the Turner, but in the end I decided that all was too high so I ditched it and went with the original offer... !