Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WTD: Forks / Forx

Following Pasty's advice ("you'll really notice the difference") I decided to put my forks in for a service.

How sage his advice was - the forks are completely shagged, it's an arm and a leg to get them fixed, so there's no choice but to replace them.

So, given that the noble Turner is 10 years old, it's got a bunch of outmoded technologies on it therefore i have to be quite selective in how I replace the forks (this could end up with a new bike....)

So before I buy new (from the restricted set) does anyone have a 26", 120mm (-ish) travel, 9mm axle, 1 1/8 steerer, IS mount set of forks that they want to flog ? Talas/Revelation preferred but this beggar ain't choosing (too much)

They call these "Trail Forks" in the current parlance.

Cheers
Norman

Re: WTD: Forks / Forx

Of course, I can compromise on some of this spec (e.g. buy a 15mm maxle wheel) if the right forks are there :-)

Norman

I'll take a look at my Rockshok set, they are new or almost new, but may not meet all the dimensional specifications

Since you got all of the apostrophes in the correct place, Norman, that must have been one of my quotes.

Although not quite up to your spec, I have a set that I could loan you while you are searching:-

Suntour XCM, 30mm stanchions, 120mm travel, 26" wheel, 1 1/8" steerer, 9 mm axle, post-mount for disc-brake.

They perform fine and have a lock-out, although not up to the standards of Fox, Revelations, DT Swiss.

Reply here if interested.

Cheers

PT

PS - they may be XCR's come to think of it... or XCT's... TAXI!

Hi Tom,

I think that quote is approximate (-ish), but you're absolutely right !

Thanks very much for the offer of a loan. I'm still waiting for news from the frame re-build (I went for the whole hog!) and have my eye on a couple of forks online.

I'll see how both of these pan out over the next couple of days, but I might come calling for this loan.

Thanks again for the offer

Norman

Hi Pete !

Could be interested ! what do you have ?

Norman

Hi Norman the forks I have are rock shock J3SL. Circa early 2006. I don't know what an I S mount is. But the calipet attachment bolt's axis is parallel to the Front wheel spindle. Staunchon diameter is 28 mm there is 116mm of stanchion exposed on full extension. 203 mm of head tube remains. Been used once I'd say.