Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Train out.....Bike back!

Hi Paul, Pastey & all,
Has anyone organised anything about the second Train out, bike back??
If not I can....BUT, would it be possible to swap the 2nd to the 16th due to the fact that Rachel is working pm the 2nd & out on the 9th.

Are there many/any people interested in this, I can make it a lot more "Thursday night" if that is what people prefer?

Re: Train out.....Bike back!

Your fish is my command!

Jolly Good,
Have had a couple of conversations with Thursday peeps and so the itinery looks like Baldock to .....
Train to Baldock, return via an old family recipe guarded in Slavic mythology....in high secrecy until just....the other day.!!
23 miles to Shepreth or.... about 15 to Therfield (the amazing fox & dog(poss wrong))followed by 4 miles to Royston Vasey station.
worked okay a few weeks ago on a TUESDAY (sorry didn't mean to mention the TUe word!!????!!!)

Train to Baldock and let's see how it gooooes!!

role up................ free kebabs for anyone that makes it to the Comberton recycling/school bus parking stop!!!

mmmm. forgot ....how do you spell itenery??

Baldock & Back........
18.55 train from Cambridge ( or could catch from Shelford/Foxton/Meldreth) arriving in Baldock for 19.26
Ride back 25 miles back to Shepreth or 27 to The Royal Oak in Barrington.
If you want an assisted ride home trains from Shepreth station to Cambridge run at 21.48 (Pffff), 22.14, 22.48, 23.14 & 23.48 or if you want to ride back to Brookside the mileage will be around the 34/36 type thing assuming you go via Cantelupe Farm.
We've done this three times before & I and others enjoyed it. Pace will be a Thursday pace allowing for the lantern rouge.
Signed up takers so far are Pastey Tom, Pat, John M. & myself.

I'm going to ride to Shepreth station as that's easiest from mine.
Weather looks good!
Any takers?

Hope to be out tomorrow night. Catching the train from shepreth.

Yep, have the all clear from work to finish 15 mins early, still going to be a mad rush to get to the train for 6:55 but I'm up for the challenge.
Also carrying half a ton of pig iron for Pastey to sort his bearings. That will help with any down hills we may encounter ;)

We can split the weight between us, Pat! The bearings measured at 19mm diameter with my nice digital vernier calipers so you can save a bit of weight by not bringing too many other options.

I am aiming to get to Shepreth for the 19:08 as I doubt that I can get to Cambridge station for 18:55, pay for parking then pay for ticket, find and board train. Tyres are pumped up and the bag is packed.

IF it all goes t!ts-up, then I will join Gerodie Nige for a local bimble.

PT

I'm also going to try and make the train, but can't promise I'll do so. My bag isn't packed yet, but hopefully I can vanish from work relatively early-ish.

Just to say thanks to Duncan for an excellent route, and hope the other five of us all got home safely, if not dry. through all those thunderstorms . Also, I had 39.24 miles on the clock so for me, one of this season's epics.

Agreed, Pete, great route, thanks Duncan!

I did get home, drenched but un-singed!

Bike is cleaner than when I started.
My feet went under on one or two flooded roads, but no lightning strikes.

This will be it then!!

http://www.farrfestival.co.uk/

It's good to see Pete is taking it easy in his retirement.... 15 seconds off his PB on a wednesday 10m TT then 39 miles MTB Thursday & I think he said he was riding to Newton today then another TT at the week end.

Yes, my bike was a little less dusty.

I just had the short ride to the Shepreth station car park, but got there soaked and found it was flooded, as were most of the roads on the way to the A10.

Heavy rain gave way to the mother of all deluges when I went through Harston.

Still, glad I didn't have to bike the full way to Cambridge.

PT