Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wanted - second hand bike lights

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start coming out but I don't have any decent lights and wondered if anyone had any second hand ones for sale?

Many thanks
Elly

Re: Wanted - second hand bike lights

Hi Elly,
How much we're you thinking of spending?
Quite a few people have bought new lights off ebay/from China for quite sensible money where as 2nd hand lights need to have been looked after especially if they haven't been used for while.

Hi Elly,

As Duncan says, there's some powerful, budget lights available from Chinese importers - check out Amazon or eBay for these.

I got two sets from Amazon for about £12 a set including battery and charger. They are really for my kids but they kick out a lot of light. Nominally greater than 1200 Lumens, although probably less.

Quite a lot of riders in our group have them.

Longer term, it's worth saving up for some decent lights as they perform better overall and have better features, such as autoswitching to a lower setting when the battery is low. Brands such as Light and Motion, Lumicycle, Exposure and Lupine, amongst others, are favourites with us.

Check out our lights FAQ.

Regards

TOM

Thank you very much for your replies...could you send me the link to the cheaper chinese ones on amazon / eBay? I think I'll get those if they are up for the job. I looked up the ones on the FAQ and they are a bit out of my price range!

Thanks
Elly

The FAQ is a touch out of date, I would have been priced out of night riding a few years ago too.

My lights are from candbseen - in essence its an english guy that bulk buys the chinese stuff as mentioned above, but then does his own quality control and branding/logos.

He takes a bit of a cut of the money himself obviously, but for that you get actual customer service and returns, plus uk postage times rather than waiting for the slow boat from hong kong.

My friend has the same ones, sent his battery back after 3 months, and got a replacement free.

Mine and everyone else I know with them apart from that have had no problems.

I got one battery, one light and uk charger for about £50 last year.

Lasts just over 2.5 hours on full, and theres a half power mode (and a useless seizure flashing mode)

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the info, I looked on the website, which light set would you advise?

Is the CREE LED ok - CREE XM-L T6 LED 1000 Lumen Bike Light & Headlamp Kit ?

Many thanks
Elly

Just had a quick ook on the website - looks like the 1000 Lm is discontinued so they say they are shipping that kit with the old 1200 model light. This looks like the one I have which was last years top model.

The new 1200 pack for £50 pounds I've not actually seen. I don't know if its worth the extra £20

If you want to come out for a ride in the meantime, I have a spare set you could borrow.