Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Toonite - Blue Ball

Anyone out for a bimble tonight?

The runs-list says the Blue Ball but did someone say it might not be open? If not, what about the Lord Byron?

PT

Re: Toonite - Blue Ball

i intend to ride.
just checked the weather.
the rain is no longer running down the window but across it, i guess that means we are in for a windy and muddy ride.

should/could be out....

Will mud tyres be necessary?

Any recommendations?

well i'm running "Rocket Ron's" and they are my winter/mud tyres, but as Claire has so eloquently pointed out before, they are NOT mud tyres.

the choice is yours, but as long as you are on a bike, and the bike is upright it is the right tyre. IMO

que Dom, and a large narative on wheel size, profile, rubber compound, tread pattern depth and pros and cons of different manufacturer and whether they are best used as tubless or not and even if tubless is best and why, with multiple links to anicdotal evidence from random websites as proof.

happy new year Dom

Tony, Judging by conditions on Tuesday evening, a snorkel may be more appropriate--

And probably perfectly spelled, Pat.

I'm definitely taking a tub tonight. I am not going tubless.

I will be there mud or no mud

I am giving it a miss tonight I am afraid - don't want to get my bike dirty

Pat
que Dom, and a large narative on whether they are best used as tubless or not and even if tubless is best and why, with multiple links to anicdotal evidence from random websites as proof.

It turns out that tubless means 'without a tub' - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tubless. Who knew?

On the basis of how wet the ground is at the moment, three things spring to mind:

a) I landed this morning after a night flight back from the USA, and am consequently knackered, so will not be going anywhere, and

b) I would recommend that anyone going out tonight does not take a tub with them, and

c) On the question of whether tubless is in fact best, even Google can't help me. This is a tubless bathroom, but no comment is passed on how good it is.

Dom

Tony
I'm definitely taking a tub tonight. I am not going tubless.

My tubs are staying home, as am I. Just getting over 2nd cold of the season, plus our mud has reached passchendaele proportions....so I advise avoiding this area!

Hope to be out next thurs (Gn Man)

There was a "small " patch of mud at the end of Halton woods on the Eversden side on Christmas Eve, was about 12inches deep and the consistency of thick blomonge, I vote we give that a miss.

Only into my fourth day of Prednisolone tablets so chest and I will not be out this eve.
Many years ago (back when I could be ars*d to venture out in this weather) when things were this bad we use to save the trails, drive trains, our washing machines, new pub carpets, furniture and do a MOUNTAIN BIKE ride on the rhode, Wode, rowed, rode ?? Well it was called something like that... Gets the miles in!